brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default brakes

is there anyway to heighten the position of the rear brake pedal peg? or lower the brake completely? Its driving me nuts and hurts my leg to hold it on the right side for while. ill ride the brake too sometimes- almost caused a spill standing yesterday too. (Brake travel is fine!, exactly to spec)

a few months ago i thought this as well, figured i didn't remember my dirt bike doing so and dealt with it-

after fixing the xr and riding around all day yesterday, no foot placement problems.

There has to be a way to adjust the height of the rear brake itself or the foot peg......

Last edited by skeletor; 07-19-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

It's in the manual. Loosen the nut where the rubber is and turn the bolt to adjust .

Old 07-19-2012, 02:47 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Man, I agree on the lack of adjustment on the rear brake setup. I think the main problem is that there is such a short throw/stroke on the master cylinder plunger and a short plunger to aggravate things. There's no splined lever shaft to retime the position of the brake. The only adjustment I can see is the plunger shaft rod, and that would be fine if it had enough latitude. On mine the threaded plunger shaft is threaded all the way in to its shortest length. I thought of some ways to slot the master cylinder and a couple of other creative methods taking more time and work than I wanted. The brake lever is steel, so I removed it, clamped it in a vise, and carefully bent it the way I preferred for my boot position. It's worked fine ever since. Maybe someone else came up with a better method.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Adjust as much as possible... if that's not enough, here's what I did:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...0-3-4-a-37510/

Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

i have it as low as it'll go according to the manual. Its really driving me crazy- looks like I'm gonna copy the mod. thanks a lot for the input guys.

i really can't be the only one having this problem. standing up on the bike i have to pay attention where my feet are, and dudes, going fast through the woods, seeing a root or somethings gonna kill me one day.....

i just really thought for sure it would be as easy as on my old dirt bikes. lot of scratching my head and staring. makes no sense but i do love the rest of the bike....

Old 07-20-2012, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by skeletor
i have it as low as it'll go according to the manual. Its really driving me crazy- looks like I'm gonna copy the mod. thanks a lot for the input guys.

i really can't be the only one having this problem. standing up on the bike i have to pay attention where my feet are, and dudes, going fast through the woods, seeing a root or somethings gonna kill me one day.....

i just really thought for sure it would be as easy as on my old dirt bikes. lot of scratching my head and staring. makes no sense but i do love the rest of the bike....
I had the same predicament when I started riding. Finally adjusted my riding style . I just adjusted my foot to the side obliquely .if needed to use the rear brake,I just adjust my foot towards the inside. It then became like second nature.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

New design technique there??? Adjust the rider to fit the bike, rather than the bike to fit the rider.

Hmmm... sounds like Microsoft engineers may have worked on the KLX???

As for me, I prefer to have things work MY way... which explains my brake pedal mod, AND all the extra S/W running on my PC to make Win7 actually usable.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:18 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
New design technique there??? Adjust the rider to fit the bike, rather than the bike to fit the rider.

Hmmm... sounds like Microsoft engineers may have worked on the KLX???

As for me, I prefer to have things work MY way... which explains my brake pedal mod, AND all the extra S/W running on my PC to make Win7 actually usable.
Yeah, people are different, but I guess after riding dirt bikes for 40 years, my brain is kind of hard wired to have the controls and other ergonomic issues set up to suit me. I'm honestly not sure I could change something in my riding technique as natural as a properly adjusted rear brake lever function if I was unable to change its position to what fits me. We are all built differently to some degree, and I'm sure the positioning and adjustments will be a bit different, but there was no way I could get comfortable with that brake lever until I bent it down a bit.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:32 AM
1st Gear Member

i didnt want to start a new thread for this but are the any aftermarket brake pedals that will fit?

Old 07-21-2012, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toyotabuilder
i didnt want to start a new thread for this but are the any aftermarket brake pedals that will fit?
here. klxforum.suncup.net • View topic - Shifter Foot Lever/Pedal Replacement?

The honda fits.

Last edited by Pogiboy; 07-21-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: brakes