Brake line question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Brake line question

Can anyone please tell me if the front and rear brake lines on an 09 are the same as those on an older model KLX 250 or 300?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:09 AM
1st Gear Member

good question, even f.a.q. worthy.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Essentially YES. The 09 line will fit the 07 and vice versa, although they are routed differently. After market lines for the KLX300R will fit both the 07 and 09.

The 07 has a small 'hard line' at the bottom of the flexible hose where as the 09 doesn't and its flexible hose runs directly to the caliper. The only issue is finding a suitable safe secure routing for the hose if you choose to modify it as the fork sliders that secure the hose are different on the two models mentioned. That is an easy problem to overcome..
BTW, I feel there is little or nothing to be gained in swapping the lines from an 07/09 as they are both very basic in design and offer nothing extra between each other. If you must have extra performance then a hose kit from Goodridge, Galfer or even one of Bill Blues braided hoses would do the job so much better than the OE kit.

(See post # 20 here for pictures of the brakes. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...t=32108&page=2)

Personally I have front and rear braided hoses from Goodridge on their way to my door as we speak.

Rear lines are the same on both models.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 04-13-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Westy,

I just ordered a front line from Bill Blue. Mine stock one is being eroded.

I am just waiting for my fork and shock springs to arrive so I can get riding.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
BTW, I feel there is little or nothing to be gained in swapping the lines from an 07/09 as they are both very basic in design and offer nothing extra between each other. If you must have extra performance then a hose kit from Goodridge, Galfer or even one of Bill Blues braided hoses would do the job so much better than the OE kit.
Personally I have front and rear braided hoses from Goodridge on their way to my door as we speak.
I realised this weekend that when the dealer put my bark busters on, the put the front brake line under the mount which stopped it's ability to flex up at the top. So as a result the line kinked hald way down the fork. It'll be OK for now, but obviously it's a weak point in the line now and will break sooner rather than later. So I think I need to get a new line.

Mind if I ask where you ordered your lines from WestOzKLX? And how much they set you back?

Name:  07062010136b.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  75.0 KB

Last edited by Arctra; 06-07-2010 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old 06-07-2010, 08:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
I realised this weekend that when the dealer put my bark busters on, the put the front brake line under the mount which stopped it's ability to flex up at the top. So as a result the line kinked hald way down the fork. It'll be OK for now, but obviously it's a weak point in the line now and will break sooner rather than later. So I think I need to get a new line.

Mind if I ask where you ordered your lines from WestOzKLX? And how much they set you back?
Seems you've got a nice thumper now Arctra.

Got my Goodridge lines from the factory supplier in the UK. My father brought them out on his last visit a couple of months ago (along with some other good UK kit. Renthal R3 chain and new 45 tooth rear sprocket. A new set of Talon rimlocks and a couple of NoToil air filters.)

Got the lines from K300 (factory) as they are made to order. They took about 10 days. They are listed for the KLX300 here>>>>http://www.goodridge.co.uk/motorcycl...s/kawasaki.htm (30 quid each and 6 quid UK shipping. Cheap at the current exchange rate.)

They do international shipping for 23 quid, so with a front and rear line that's 83 quid (AUS $147.50 at the current exchange rate.) Beats paying about AUS $120 a line from the AUS supplier. It's a world market. Bill Blue does good prices on lines too from what I've read.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 06-07-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Seems you've got a nice thumper now Arctra.

Got my Goodridge lines from the factory supplier in the UK. My father brought them out on his last visit a couple of months ago (along with some other good UK kit. Renthal R3 chain and new 45 tooth rear sprocket. A new set of Talon rimlocks and a couple of NoToil air filters.)

Got the lines from K300 (factory) as they are made to order. They took about 10 days. They are listed for the KLX300 here>>>>http://www.goodridge.co.uk/motorcycl...s/kawasaki.htm (30 quid each and 6 quid UK shipping. Cheap at the current exchange rate.)

They do international shipping for 23 quid, so with a front and rear line that's 83 quid (AUS $147.50 at the current exchange rate.) Beats paying about AUS $120 a line from the AUS supplier. It's a world market. Bill Blue does good prices on lines too from what I've read.
There are a lot of nice guys and gals over on the ADV site. Looks like someone is more than willing if you need stuff sent from the UK.

"Quote:
Originally Posted by motosaint
I've been trying to get some camping products recently only available in Europe, especially in the UK. Why is it such a hassle to put something on an American credit card, pay for shipping and have it sent to the U.S.? Okay, so there is an exchange rate.. Shipping something from Europe to the U.S. is fairly reasonable cost-wise isn't it?

What do you actually want? I send stuff to the US everyday. Let me know what you want, i'll buy it and get it sent to us. we can then ship out to you.
Ive just sent a set of tyres to the phillipines...

The main thing I'm into is going about on a bike, taking random routes; I'm really into the idea of making up journeys, and just seeing where they take you, because they always end up taking you someplace freaky.
Tom Jenkinson (squarepusher)

KLIM in the UK
Giantloop in Europe
adventure-spec
F800GS Crashbars
Yamaha Tenere Parts
KTM 690 Adventure-Spec Parts
KTM LC8 Adventure and SE Skidplate"

Link here. >>>>(post #8) http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584834

Old 06-09-2010, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Originally Posted by Arctra

I would absolutely be at the dealer with my bike and let them see the error of their ways and invite them to pay for my new braided line. That's some pretty serious error if that had snapped under heavy braking (a likely time for it) you could have lost brakes in an emergency, ended up in the back of truck or over the roof of a car... I would not revisit this dealer after making them pay for their error. YIKES!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

+1, the dealer should pay at least the cost of the stock line toward whatever replacement you choose.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jacksonriding7
I would absolutely be at the dealer with my bike and let them see the error of their ways and invite them to pay for my new ... line. ...
I tried to get them to change it when I got my first service done by them without success. I've asked Bill how much his cable will cost posted to Aus, and if it's cheaper than getting the Goodridge one from the UK I'll get it.

More of a concern is the fact that they didn't bolt my bash plate back on properly (not sure why they took it off anyway as it has a hole for the sump plug) and on my ride home I realised this. Checked it out and one bolt has fallen out and the other was close to it I don't want to think about what might have happened if it fell off while I was riding home at 70km/h! Guess who won't be getting any more of my business?

Quick Reply: Brake line question