bought a 2010. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default bought a 2010. Now what?

Just got the wife a used black 2010 KLX250S with 1300 miles on the clock. First service done at dealer. I'm lowering it with Kouba links that are ordered. I've ridden the bike and it runs great. I find that at times it's hard to start. Other than that no problems so far. I want to hook up her gerbings jacket. What upgrades or add-ons would you do first?

PS: looks great in the garage next to my black KLR650

Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

First thing I would do (you can do it if you feel comfortable tearing into it, or take it into a dealer) is have them drill out the fuel mixture screw plug, and turn the screw out about 3 turns. I believe it is only 3/4 of a turn out from factory. My dealer does this to every KLX it sells, it eliminates the cold starting issues without installing a jet kit.

Or if you feel up to it,
-install a jet kit ( dyno jet 2152 or 2206 )
-install a muffler ( the factory cat/muffler is very restrictive)
-install a bigger snorkel or remove the snorkel entirely and get a high flow air filter

Once the above it done, it becomes a different bike. If that isn't enough, slap a 351 cc big bore in it.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a black 2009 KLx250s and they are nice looking bikes in black.

Assuming you plan to at least visit some off raod trails:

First thing is to dump that taillight assembly in favor of an edge kit. It is pretty ridiculous from the factory.

Skid plate is needed from Ricochet. Very good value and of excellent quality.

Radiator braces from unabiker since this bike has a glass jaw. Good value and satisfactory quality.

Bark busters to protect your fingers and the levers from breaking in a fall. I chose acerbis brand and new renthal bars.

Fix that jetting. Even if you leave the entire engine in factory configuration, the bike is jetted so lean that it is barely usable before being totally warmed up.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Post Hmm

I thought the 2010 was blue. Do the stuff they say, its a great bike. The jet kit and snorkel did the most.

My black 09 SF is fast enough to get me into trouble.

David

Old 10-27-2010, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

"dump that taillight assembly in favor of an edge kit"

Ok I googled "edge kit" so I didn't really sound like a fool, LOL! What's wrong with the stock light? Is the edge kit really super bright or something?

Bark busters are on my list. Do the acerbis brand fit the factory bars without cussing for hours on end?

Old 10-28-2010, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

ride it till you figure out what you would like to change. youll save money and be happier with the bike.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

The edge light was one of the first things I bought and once installed I didn't like it. I had it on correctly but on mine it was a little obscured by the black part on the rear fender and the plate stuck out at an odd angle. It was led but not any brighter than the stock piece. I returned it and reconnected the wires I had cut then trimmed the stock piece for a custom look and have been very happy with the results and spent the money on go fast stuff. I can see why people like it but I just didn't much.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:14 AM
jxg
1st Gear Member

+1. just cut the stock fender and ride it until you break it (i have over 4k on mine, lots of trail miles, and still not broken), then get the edge kit if you need to.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tngw1500se
"dump that taillight assembly in favor of an edge kit"

Ok I googled "edge kit" so I didn't really sound like a fool, LOL! What's wrong with the stock light? Is the edge kit really super bright or something?

Bark busters are on my list. Do the acerbis brand fit the factory bars without cussing for hours on end?
The factory bars have weights in the ends that can be tough to drill/thread.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

The factory whale tail on the 2009/2010 is freaking huge. It bounces around and can get sucked into the back wheel. You can either hack it if you like the chopped up look or replace it with an aftermarket system designed for the bike. The edge kit is not as bright as factory, I think it is a decrease in safety on the road at night but a huge increase in function in the woods.

I installed the acerbis rally pros along with stronger Renthal bars. There is nothing particularly special about the KLX that makes installation any more difficult than other bikes. OEM bars require that you do something about the bar weights.

Quick Reply: bought a 2010. Now what?