Boots and stuph

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:11 AM
Default Boots and stuph

After sundays ride I can see the need for a decent pair of boots, and possibly other offroad riding apparel. Any suggestions for decent boots, pants, jerseys, jackets, ect...that won't break the bankrupt bank?

Old 03-13-2007, 04:20 AM
Default RE: Boots and stuph

i'm in the same situation u are, the past week i've hit my toes like 4 times, i thought i broke them.ha but i dont think ill get them just for trail ridin mostly cause of the price. i'll fin some steel toe boots in the basement.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:28 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

I finally broke down and bought a pair of Fox offroad tracker boots last week.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:37 AM

Found these http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-10...ack/Grey_.html
But I know nothing about this type of boot. Everything I've tried on seems so stiff that I can't imagine being able to shift with them on.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I got my Fox Offroad Trackers last week and after wearing them around the house for a few hrs/day they are good to walk in now. I did lower my brake lever and raise the shift lever one notch for the ride I took Sunday. I think I will put the shift lever back down though once I get the boots broke in. Upshifting is slower for me as I have to pull up higher with the lever in its current position but down shifting is just a matter of picking my foot up a little bit.........until I work the ankle some more in the boots.

I got mine for $139 at a local shop

A boot that is very similar and got good reviews in Dirt Wheels (ATV) magazine is the ARC Corona boot sold by RockyMountain ATV these boots look almost identical to the Trackers, same type of lug sole and are $79.99.

If you want something much more flexible but still offers good protection the Gaerne Explorers are highly rated as a Dual Sport boot but are not as heavy as an MX boot and ARE NOT water proof. These go for $140-$170 I think, but also make a good commuter boot too.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Saturday I bought a pair of tech 3's cost a little over $150. They are a little awkward at first, they feel like a ski boot. After spending a few hours riding and breaking them in, it was a huge improvement. They seat your feet comfortably on the bike, make it easier to shift (after some practice), and protect your feet. Before when I rode my feet would go numb in a half an hour. With these boots I can fly through puddles and rough terrain without having to worry about hitting something hard with numb feet. I know too many people who broke their leg because they where not wearing riding boots so I broke down and finally bought some myself. The only downside is that the boots or any protection may give you too much confidence, and youcan seriously hurt yourself in an area not protected. I would recommend buying a pair.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gomerpile

The only downside is that the boots or any protection may give you too much confidence, and youcan seriously hurt yourself in an area not protected.
Gomer, you just need the matching knee pads!!!!

Seriously, when you fall, ankles are important, but spend any time landing knee first, and MAN, you know you need them... CHEAP protection in my book, I ALWAYS where knee pads when riding dirt.

Check out this deal, my sonjust got these... Oneal M10 boot - $150 boot PLUS Knee pads for $104.00. Zero taxes, and I think that shipping was free since it was over $100.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...amp;division=2

Nice deal for a mid-range boot

Old 03-13-2007, 06:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I had tried some of the Oneal's out. I don't remember the model #'s. I liked the feel of the tech 3's. Thats a great tip about the knee pads! I will have to buy some. The other day, my bike got squirrelly on me while I was turning. If I would have crashed it would have been right on my knee. OUCH!Later that day I crashed on my ankle and laid there in pain for 30min. Thanks for the tip DirtSurfer!

Old 03-13-2007, 07:46 AM

The MX boots do offer the best off road protection. If you are not ramping and really pushing the bike to the limit you could get away with some street boots. I have both and when I know I am going for some serious off roading I use my MX boots. The rest of the time I use an oldpair of water proof Frank Thomas street boots (they were about $100.00). They are much easer to ride,shift, and breakwith and offer great protection. I think they are better in some cases becauseyou are in better control of your bike because you can shift and break with more feelof what the bike is doing.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I always ride off-road with MX boots, I cannot afford the time off work. As for other gear have a look on the net for last years gear, its a lot cheaper than current gear. have a look at www.mxsouth.com and ebay shops.

Cheers [8D]

Quick Reply: Boots and stuph