Boots Boots Boots

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Boots Boots Boots

Just curious what the KLX250s riders are using as a good dual sport boot. Full moto boots are a no go for me due to some foot surgeries I had (skin grafts on top of foot a year ago), plus they are heavy for combo street/trail/bar stop riding.

I was thinking some military issue boots may work. What other boots for under $200 bucks would anyone advise. There are some sweet boots out there, but my budget is like $150, maybe $200 tops.

Thanks Ya'll.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Military boots would work. I ride with plain old steel toe work boots. $49.99 at Wal-Mart.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:48 AM
1st Gear Member

If I'm rideing the bike for transportation(most of the time) I wear steel or fiber toe boots. If I am going for a ride I have some Sidi leather boots for street and Sidi crossfires for the dirt. I only picked up the Sidi leather boots becuase they were a good deal.
If I was you I would get a Good pair of work boots/military boots preferably with a toe.
Cheers. Jim

Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

When I'm running errands, I wear my regular heavy leather western work boots with Vibram(non-leather) soles. I also have steel-toed versions of he same boot.Will say that I NEVER ride a motorcycle without all my gear and that includes knee guards undr my jeans. I just took a low-speed fall on pavement. I landed on elbows and knees and all the body armor worked just as it should. My Moose Racing knee guards absorbed the impact and I got up and walked away. The impact was hard enough that I believe I would have done damage.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:18 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Just like in motorcyles, there is no one type of boot/footwear that will do it all. You'll always be compromising something to some degree in the area of comfort, style, protection, etc. For riding true off road situations, it can be downright dangerous to use anything but a full MX/enduro style boot. In '08 I almost broke my left leg at the shin from a crash where my KLR650 landed on my leg while riding in Colorado. This year in Moab the KLX pinned my right ankle on a loose uphill climb against a rock...still sore. If I'd been using anything short of armored dirt bike boots, it would have been bad.

It's very understandable why most of us don't want to wear full dirt bike boots all the time when just tooling around or commuting. We're compromising safety a bit for comfort, style, and convenience. For anything short of full blown off road, the suggestions here for heavier work boots or at least just higher top hiking boots are at least a decent compromise. Heck, we all know that most of us will occasionally even tool around with just some tennis/running shoes. If you're going trail riding, use the right boot. Our ankles and feet are spindly sticks and need all the protection they can get in that environment.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll occasionally wear work boots on the bike and when I do I'm super careful to tuck in the laces. More than once I've watched someone come to a stop but their lace was caught on the peg and they couldn't get a foot down. It's embarrassing to fall over at a stoplight surrounded by cars.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

If I went to buy actual off road dual sport boots now I'd buy these:

Alpinestar Scout dual sport boots

They're going to be supple for an off road boot and are basically what was used for MX over the years before the plastic reinforced models. They also have another plus - WATERPROOF!

I still wear HiPoints (Alpinestars branded by Penton back in the 70s):

Can walk around in them all day long and still decent protection off road. Not the absolute best, but decent. After all, if they were good enough for virtually every pro MX rider through the 70s and into the 80s they're good enough for how I ride now. I just have to oil 'em up occasionally. Those were new in 1977.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I used to ride in nothing but a pair of old army combat boots. I still wear them riding around town or commuting (always careful to tuck in the laces). But a few years ago I popped for some Sidi Discovery boots, which I absolutely love, and I wear them whenever I'm doing a longer ride or any sort of off-road. They're not quite a full motocross boot, but there's plenty of support and comfort. They seem like they will last for many more years, which does seem to take the sting out of the high price.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for posting these pics-I was unaware of these boots. When I'm really out for a ride, I wear the Klim pants with Gaerne 10 motocross boots. I wore Munari boots in the 70s and like the idea of something similar for the relaxed way I ride. I'm going to check into these.

Originally Posted by klx678
If I went to buy actual off road dual sport boots now I'd buy these:

Alpinestar Scout dual sport boots

They're going to be supple for an off road boot and are basically what was used for MX over the years before the plastic reinforced models. They also have another plus - WATERPROOF!

I still wear HiPoints (Alpinestars branded by Penton back in the 70s):

Can walk around in them all day long and still decent protection off road. Not the absolute best, but decent. After all, if they were good enough for virtually every pro MX rider through the 70s and into the 80s they're good enough for how I ride now. I just have to oil 'em up occasionally. Those were new in 1977.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

i wear these, thor 50/50 most of the time. great for just around town & light offroading.

i also have a full mx boot that i wear when i'm going for a real offroad/ muddy ride. the mx boot has great protection but i think i'm going to try my mountain bike knee and shin guards and my thor's next ride. should offer the same protection has the mx boot plus coverage for my knees.

Quick Reply: Boots Boots Boots