Blast from the past..

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Blast from the past..

Was at my parent's house over the weekend and was looking through old pics.. Found this one of me and my bro/cousins on an old Kawasaki Triple 250!

That was my dad's first bike.. This is back in 82 or 83'ish.. Just thought it was a cool pic:

I'm the fat kid, second from the left

And here's a pic from the net of the bike:

I sent him that pic on email and he responded:
"that was her exactly same color too....at least till i spray painted her...hahaha she still was sweet....was a 2 stroke....that little round thing on the saddle cover was the window to the 2 stroke oil tank......right below that was how to set the oil drip into the gas line.....you justhad the engine running turn the screw valve till the exhaust smoked bad then you just backed it off alittle.....the engine would ringgggg like a sob.....but never a problem with it.....oh yeah there wasnt a starter on it....just a kicker.....but if you had a dead battery.....you could never start it.....had a magneto that needed the battery to run off of.
thanks for the blast from the past."

Thought it was cool, Just wanted to share

Old 10-08-2009, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Kewl ...

Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

C.L. That was Cool.
Good Times From The Past
Gotta Love umm

Old 10-08-2009, 02:19 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Mmmmm...Kawasaki 2-stroke triples. I had a '72 and '74 Kawasaki 750 2-stroke triple. Those were wicked, wicked bikes. I won more drag races against really hot cars with those bikes than I can count. And surprisingly, I never had any mechanical issues with those bikes.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

That was awesome! I love old pics with a story. Love the tripple, reminds me of the motor a guy slapped into a KX frame at the hill climbs a couple of years ago around here. Yep here it is!

Name:  P6285394.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  143.7 KB

Old 10-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

kz1000 motor...

Name:  hatfieldmcoy089.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  98.3 KB

Old 10-08-2009, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Good times. I still have pics of my first bike, a 1978 Yamaha DT125 around somewhere.

Bought it in pieces for 40 bucks from a guy at school- his mom was tired of the parts being in the garage. My mom thought I was insane. A chilton's manual and a week later, we had a roller!

The thing ran like a pig. Rebuilt the motor and put on some Boysen reeds. One day I took the muffler apart to repack it, and it was completely fouled with oil. I removed the baffles, and that thing turned in to a 2-smoke missile! Monocross suspension and oil injection, baby.

Someone stripped off the signals and controls, so I fitted a cracked headlight from my dad's old Pontiac and a taillight for a boat trailer. I eventually realized I wasn't going to be able to get her titled and back to normal, so I sold it for $125.

Fast forward 20 years and the desire to have a dualsport still was there- when I saw that KLX on Craigslist, I had to have it.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

Here is a photo of my older brothers bike with my older sister. It is a Kawasaki 2-stroke 750 of the vintage TNC is talking about. My brother was really stupid with that bike, probably should have died twice. I guess with all of that two stroke power and ill mannered handling (especially steering) is why they called those bikes the widow makers. He used to drag race a lot with his bike. You gotta love the Easy Rider helmet.

Name:  JohnsBike.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  90.2 KB

Old 10-09-2009, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Sick stuff!! I love old pictures too... Meeemmmmmorriieesssss!

hahaa

Cool pic fooswolf

Old 10-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice. Here's one of me on the neighbor's tote goat. I'm in the middle. Me and my brother, and the two neighbor kids all used to pile on this thing and have a blast riding around the woods and fields. Invariably it would break down in some way and we would be stuck miles from home trying to fix it and get it running again. That old thing was unstoppable, most of the time. I think it just had one gear. When it did break down, you could usually fix it with a piece of barbed wire or whatever was handy. I think we had something like 7 kids on it at once, one time. Good times.

Quick Reply: Blast from the past..