blasphemer!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Default blasphemer!!!!!

Well I am not getting rid of my KLX but I am looking into another bike this coming summer. I am keeping the KLX cuz it is a great little bike and I have a blast on it, but I need something that will get me a bit further with a lot more comfort! I am mainly looking into a BMW F650GS Dakar or a KTM 640 Adventure. Maybe you guys can offer me some inputs on either of them. I know this is the kawi-forum but I figured most of you have a like mindset since we all own the same bike. Oh, and the KLR650 isn't totally out of the question either....

Thanks for your help,
Brian

Old 11-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Default RE: blasphemer!!!!!

That 2008 klr650 is going to be my next bike. I sat on a BMW1150GS, now that is a big fat whale of a bike but the KTM940(?) that was sitting right next to it was much lighter and felt more like a big DS and less like a tank.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:59 PM

Ya, the bigger GS's and KTM's are a lot of $$$ and to big for my comfort level. I figured a 650 or around there would be a good area to stay in. Thanks for your input!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:39 PM

What!?!?!? The KLX is not all you need? How can that be?

Name:  familyaffair.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  436.5 KB

Yes, I personally believe that there is no ultimate "Adventure Bike" that has ever been produced. Each has it's good points and bad points. There are some that have better road manners and some have better off road manners.

The 2008 KLR650 is not going to be much different than the exisiting one - trust me on that, I've read the specs for both bikes and there is not much difference, other than appearance.

Basically you need to choose what kind of riding you're going to do and then have the bike to do it with.

Multiple Bike Disorder is a wonderful affliction - please don't let anyone find a cure!

Old 11-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 -- Here is a list of apparent new features:

1. Things I noted from the press photos:

* The sidestand has a larger foot
* The engine side cases are new castings -- which may hide a redesigned balancer chain tensioner, I hope! Also, no more rubber plug where the kickstarter used to be -- and decorative dimples!
* Appears to have a two-piston brake caliper on the front
* Larger bashplate for better engine protection

2. Things mentioned in the Kawasaki press release:

* Revised cam timing contributes to improved high-rpm performance
* New intake porting offers greater low-end torque
* Improved throttle response from a new throttle position sensor and revised ignition mapping
* New piston rings are thinner and have more tension, for improved oil consumption
* New one-piece exhaust pipe features smoother bends for improved exhaust efficiency at all rpm
* New Denso radiator is thin and lightweight. Fitted with a lightweight and thin cooling fan, the new radiator has a greater cooling area and offers a 20% increase in cooling efficiency
* Fully transistorised ignition unit replaces the earlier analog CDI, and more precisely controls timing no matter how fast the rpm changes
* New, beefier 41mm front fork is offers increased rigidity. (Previous unit was 38mm)
* Re-calibrated suspension offers less static sag and now offers greater on-road riding performance.
* Front suspension stroke was reduced from 9.1 in. to 7.9 in.
* Rear suspension travel was reduced from 8.1 in. to 7.3 in.
* New D-section swingarm contributes to the bike’s excellent traction
* Redesigned UNI-TRAK® linkage compliments front suspension changes
* Progressive rate provides a smoother, more controlled ride
* New 4mm spokes (up from 3.5mm) provide increased wheel stiffness, enhanced handling performance and improved steering response.
* Larger rear cargo rack -- 3.5 in. longer and 5.1 in. wider than the old rack
* New, narrower tail section which makes it easier to mount saddlebags.
* New lightweight front and rear petal discs offer excellent braking.
* Front brake disc diameter increased from 260mm to 280mm.
* New rear caliper offers improved feel and power
* New dual-bulb headlamp offers greater night visibility
* New high-mounted turn signals improve the KLR650’s visibility at night or under poor visibility conditions
* All-new bodywork features a larger fairing, which contributes to increased wind protection
* New, easy-to-read instrument panel is mounted to the frame, contributing to lighter steering
* Firmer urethane seat foam offers greater comfort for long-distance riding
* Seat height is lower, but reduced suspension sag means the rider’s ability to reach the ground is about the same (which indicates that the '08's effective ground clearance may not be less than previous models
* Alternator output has been increased from 14.5A to 17A. Total capacity is 36W to provide ample power for the new headlight as well as add-on grip heaters and other accessories

No, it's not a motocrosser or a Goldwing, but I love my '04, and I'm looking forward to the '08! Kawasaki has positively addressed some genuine issues, in my opinion

Old 11-28-2006, 09:02 PM

EMS,

I'm almost betting the good old same "Doohicky" is in the new motor!

My reasoning? Simple, there a dual balancer in the original KLR650 motor. From what I've read and heard from some folks in the know, basically they have put a new head design on the bike to meet some emissions issue.

I would be very happy to be wrong.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

The new G650 XChallenge coming out in March will be pretty cool. MSRP will be about 9000.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:57 AM

ORIGINAL: vurtle

The new G650 XChallenge coming out in March will be pretty cool. MSRP will be about 9000.

I've seen the bike and I like the concept. Here you take a basic configuration of frame and motor - then you add different suspension, tire sizes and body work to come up with 3 different models. I sure do hope Kawasaki saw the BMW lineup at Intermot.

The bikes are cool looking. Here's some pics:

How unique. There might be some innovations coming to motorcyling yet. At least here in the US.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:28 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Those new bikes are sweeeeeeet! If they run half as good as they look, the BMW factories will be busy busy busy.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:30 AM

Now that I have seen the 2008 KLR I am really looking at it, so much so that I called the dealer here in Abilene and asked the possible release date. they said possibly april-may time frame. i think that I will get more for the dollar spent with that bike and there's mods for days already in exsistance and fairly priced. Yeah, it is pretty much the same bike with a pretty body but so is the F650GS. And now I am having a hard time swallowing the 8K plus price tag on the Beemer and KTM's.

This is a great looking bike with a solid background