Bike using oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bike using oil?

sorry about the bad luck you are having with your bike Eric [&:] Check and see what the lemon laws are for your state.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

BTW ever since I have gotten that ktm adv the klx seems like a fun light little toy that loves the sand. The ktm is a LOT of work to ride offroad and it is more offroad orientated than a klr. Keep it simple just get both.
I am the same way with my XL600R. I love to ride it, but wouldn't trade the KLX, on the trails, for a boat load of bigger bikes.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

no lemon laws for bikes in PA.....

Old 08-17-2007, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

no lemon laws for bikes in PA.....
Hope this helps
http://www.pittsburghlemonlaw.com/pa_motorcycle_faq.htm
PA MOTORCYCLE FAQ’s At this time, the Pennsylvania Lemon Law does not include coverage for motorcycles. However, if you have purchased a motorcycle that has exhibited problems or is defective, you have rights under other Warranty laws that will provide you with the same remedies as the PA Lemon Law would have. There is a "Federal Lemon Law" called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that has provisions that are similar to the Pennsylvania Lemon Law, which may entitle you to a full refund of the purchase price or a free replacement motorcycle. Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, if it can be shown that your motorcycle was defective and the Manufacturer was given reasonable opportunities to repair your motorcycle, then you can pursue what is termed a "Breach of Warranty" action against the Manufacturer. The Magnuson-Moss Act sets forth the guidelines that outline your claim for doing so. The reasonable number of repair attempts for the same problem is three (3); after that, if the problem or defect has not been corrected, you can bring an action against the Manufacturer. If your claim succeeds, you can hope to recover all monies that were used in the purchase of the motorcycle, including the down payment, all payments made towards financing including interest, taxes, title fees and other collateral charges. You will also be entitled to recover your Attorney Fees if you are successful in pursuing your claim. Because this law allows you to recover your Attorney Fees if you are successful, our firm never requests an up front retainer for pursuing a claim under the Magnuson-Moss Act. If we prevail on your claim, the Manufacturer will pay our Attorney Fees. On the rare occasion that we are unsuccessful, you will owe our firm nothing. Our legal assistance for pursuing this type of claim is completely free to you, win or lose, no matter what.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

The dealer should just give you the klr. At least that way you will have something to ride for the next 2 months while they try to fix the oil problem. And sorry to hear about your problems. I would also maybe talk to a lemon law lawyer and see what he says.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I was going to mention the smoking if it was burning oil, but Josh had that one covered. The other thing to check is the airbox - have you had the bike on its right side any time recently, whether intentional or not? Could be the oil drained out the crankcase vent and into the airbox, unless you've rerouted the crankcase vent. If it drained into the airbox, it would eventually drain out. You still have that little clear plastic catch can on there, right? You should be able to see oil in that if that is what happened.

The only other thing I can think of would be a more serious problem in such as worn rings or something and you are getting combustion blow-by which also burns oil and forces it as vapor out the crankcase vent. Most of that would just be sucked back in through the carb, though, unless you've rerouted the crankcase vent.

I'm sure you added oil back in, but give it a little while and then change the oil and check its condition. If it is dirty and "burnt" maybe you're getting blow-by. That's really not the end of the world, though. Just needs a freshen up w/new rings assuming the bore is still OK. But while you're going to that trouble, you may as well slap a big bore kit on there.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the Lemon Law/ Magnuson Moss act. I would calmly bring the bike back to the dealer but document everything. Write down dates & times etc... of every trip to the stealer. Give them a chance to correct the oil consumption problem and at the same time get a lawyer involved. You can't go wrong based on what Poodlenuts said. If they fix it, great if not it's time to take legal action. This is so far beyond unreasonable. Maybe they'll just give you a brand new engine. You can also make a sign up stating how bad you got screwed and stand out front of the Stealership until they give you your money back. lol. Good luck buddy. We're all pulling for you!

Old 08-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Brian, i have installed the pcv valve in the crankcase vent, so that is possible, but its hasnt taken a nap on its side before last night....lol... oops. I am going to change the oil this weekend then keep my eye on it....

Old 08-18-2007, 11:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Just stop parking it upside down and everything will be 'right as rain.'

Old 08-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Yea... i knew that pulley system forhanging my mountain bike wasnt gonna be good sooner or later for the klx.......lol

Quick Reply: Bike using oil?