bike is dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:55 AM
Default bike is dead

i come home from work and just about to turn the key off to shut the engine down and before i turn the key the engine dies on its own, luckily im alraedy home. i turn the key to on an there is no lights or anything at all, no neutral light, no headlight or taillight......zip, nada. so im charging the battery as i type this.i checked all the fuses and connections and all seems well. i am able to pop start the bike and it will run but the headlight gets flickery, if thats a word. hope i dont need a new battery. but im at about 22,000 miles so maybe it just might have had enough. if anyone else has had a similar problem please enlighten me. i think the dealer is a scam artist. i had been by there so they could tighten my rear axle because it had come loose for some reason after they installed my tire, thank god for the cotter pin, anyway they took my bike in the back for 5 minutes and tightend it then brought my bike back out to me, i started it up and rode home, abt 6 miles and then when i got home, thats when she died on me. do they have a secret trick to disablebikes or what? just seems odd to me. and other people have told me they do some scandalous stuff there. but 5 minutes? no wires cut, or connections unplugged either. maybe its all just a coincidence. oh and my truck cracked the head in it the other day, happy new year. $3000 later ,next week ill have a new engine put in with a 50,000 mile warranty. and if u must know its a classic 88 toyota 4runner with removable top, fully loaded thats very clean and im never getting rid of it. got the v6 with the automatic. the engine sucks as this is the 3rd one. but i dont drive it nearly as much as idid before i got my klx.the new engine should last a long time, i think i only drove it 1800 miles last year and shes got 222,000 on her.ill probably put it in storage after a year or so and geta more efficient truck. ill makethat 4runner perfect before i dielol. they are hard to find in good condition these days

Old 01-03-2008, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: bike is dead

You rode a KLX 22,000 mile[sm=jawdrop.gif]s?

Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Scott, sorry to hear about the bike. It could be the battery, it could even be a short in the battery, I wonder maybe if it could be that the stator has fried in conjunction with a bad battery, just throwing out ideas. Try this. Take the battery out and see if you can get it started, and see what it does. If the lights work, then its probably the battery, if you get nothing, then you might have a charging system problem. Also maybe before you unhook the battery, get the bike started and then put a meter on it and give us the voltage. If the charge system has gone south, then its going to run off the battery until that is drained, and then the bike will start having the problems you described. Let us know what you find out.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:03 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXer

You rode a KLX 22,000 mile[sm=jawdrop.gif]s?
hahaha, and you are on the same battery???

Old 01-03-2008, 10:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Since you saidyou can 'pop start' it. It sounds like your stator/regulator is OK. Pop start it and see if you aregetting around 13.8v from youregulator, if you wantto verify, butit sounds like your battery is gone.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:19 PM

I had the same situation, flickering lights, engines dies at random etc... I cleanedthe battery terminals, and it hasn't happened since. good luck with it!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a bad battery or connection to me. A few dollar multi tester from Radio Shack can confirm this. Miles do not kill batteries, so the mileage is not the issue, it is age and care that kills batteries. Especially keeping them on a tender when it is hot out and or stored for long periods of time.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

good luck cali keep us posted...

Old 01-03-2008, 10:34 PM

ok i charged the battery overnight and slapped it back in and still, nothing. so i just did a little more looking around and came across some fuses that i didnt know existed besides the other ones i already knew about, the glass tube like ones in the little black case. the fuses were on the voltage regulator i guess it is and they are the yellow flat plastic ones #20.turns out one was blown. thank god i fixed it as this is my only transportation right now. so apparently, and correct me if im wrong, there is a total of 4 fuses on this bike. the 2 glass ones and the 2 flat yellow plastic ones and they are all under the seat. if you know of anymore fuses than that please share.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

glad you fixed it bro. BUT i wonder what made it blow?

Quick Reply: bike is dead