Bigger Gas tanks approve for road use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Bigger Gas tanks approve for road use?

Hey, wondering if anyone knows if the clarke tanks are approved for road use stateside? dont see anything on their website, or if they are not does anyone know if any of the others are? cant seem to search down any info for this.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

They probably are not DOT certified, but probably just as good or better than the stocker. I doubt it is worth the time and money for clarke to get the certification. If pressed they would probably tell you they are for off road use only. I certainly wouldn't let this stop me from putting one on, and riding the street with it. The only cop that would know that it wasn't a stock tank would have to be a felow rider, and if he busts you out on the tank he would have to be a real jerk. Slimmest of slim chances ,worst case scenario, you get busted and pay a ticket. 100% worth the risk in my opinion.
Dan

Old 09-20-2009, 03:33 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member
Default Gas tank laws

I'm not calling anyone out or anything like that...but...can anyone cite the law in any of the 50 United States that prohibits a plastic gas tank on a street licensed motorcycle? I know Texas doesn't because I've studied the Uniform Traffic Code for both operator and equipment requirements on motor vehicles. Plus you can do a search on many of the electronic versions of the code to check for all fuel and tank requirements.

I kind of doubt that any state actually has such an equipment law like this. If one finds such, please cite the section, as I'd like to see it. Most states have their traffic codes online, and you can search the safety/vehicle equipment sections for fuel tank issues. I think there's some confusion among many motorcyclists about fuel tank requirements. There are even a few street/DOT legal bikes produced with plastic tanks, and I'd almost bet there's no DOT marking on those tanks to designate something special. Tires are a different matter and considered more of a real safety issue in some instances. Like I said, I certainly haven't read all traffic codes for all 50 states, and don't claim to know all the laws contained therein. And remember, a DOT requirement for manufacturers is not necessarily a mandate for state law requirements. In fact I'm not even sure that there is a DOT fuel tank mandate that involves the tank material whatsoever. Most automobiles nowdays come with plastic tanks. I think the biggest federal issue with fuel tanks involve the venting and control of fuel vapors as it relates to emissions.