Big Gun and being too rich.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Gun and being too rich.....

I wonder if the 128 puts too much gas in. My carb mod included a 125 main, and the plug is a nice tan. Has anyone experimented between the 125 and the 128? Can anyone comment on the difference?

[IMG]local://upfiles/2405/A8C56DD5F21E4C0AA987C22BE9749FCC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-24-2006, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a 128 main with a 40 pilot. I'm running the Big Gun and have an extra air opening on my air box. I'm seeing just a tad bit on the "chocolate" side of tan on my plug. It doesn't sound like there is any major difference between yours and mine except for the airbox opening. Mine is definately not rich..... I still have to choke mine in 90 degree weather to get it to start. Our elevations are similar, so I'm not sure what the difference is.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I forgot to mention that I'm not running the quiet core in the big gun. This could make a difference, without the quiet core it breathes a little better and therefore runs leaner.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm 2 1/2 out on the air screw. The 40 pilot gives you a little more gas on the low end and eliminates the popping on deceleration. You might want to try removing the quiet core just to get an idea of what it sounds like. Personally I don't think its that loud, but I'm sure that is a matter of prospective.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Forgot to mention your riding style. If you ride the bike hard (e.g. high rpm) a larger jet burns gas better. If you have a 128 main and don't run high rpms, maybe that's why your plug is dark. Just for fun, try running your 128 at a high rpm for a while, then inspect the plub. Next try putting around at low rpms and inspect the plug. This may give your an idea.

I had a KDX200 and used scream the bike, everything was fine. Then I started riding with my 6 year old son in the trails at a very slow pace. I started fouling plugs every ride. That was resolved by lowering the needle (less gas) in the combustion chamber (at low to mid rpms).

Needle affects gas flow low to mid rpm. Main jet affects gas flow at higher rpms to wide open....FYI

[IMG]local://upfiles/2405/2771F671FD054E348F9FE1A161367F63.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-25-2006, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

That sticker on the fender is mentioned in the manual, thats 91 Research Octane Number (RON) in the manual it states that 91 RON is equivalent to 87 octane pump gas which that octane level is calculated differently.

You can see my mods in my signature and I just pulled my plug yesterday and when it was all stock it was a very light tan, almost a shade above khaki. Now its a darker tan bordering on the chocolate tan. I've put on several hundred miles with the mods listed. I rode for about 10 miles without the airbox lid and holy crap was it ever a rip snorter off idle up to 7K, I'm talking break the tire loose with a crack of the throttle, literally from idle, and 1st or 2nd, and even third pulled hard. However with the lid off I think it was a hair on the lean side on top end as twice when I got up to 8K between gears there was a little louder pop in the exhaust and with the pop there was a drop in power. As soon as it popped I took another gear and didn't investigate further I just put the lid back on. Lid on vs off is a night and day difference with my bike.

Quick Reply: Big Gun and being too rich.....