Big Clutch Improvement - 10 mins. 0 Dollars

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
When your talking front or rear brakes...... I'll take firm any time,mushy brakes no thanks.
Well, ride down a long steep hill covered in wet roots and rocks and you may reconsider that. There needs to be a fair bit of lever travel between engagement and lock up, but many seemed to be determined to engineer that out.

Firm and mushy are relative terms that, actually, don't mean anything. A lot of people simply equate a solid feel at the bar with strength, positive lock on the clutch power. In both cases they give up finesse.

What many call mushy, I call feel. If you're riding out west and getting big speed, you'd want more power in your brakes, and perhaps stronger clutch engagement than I do, but sudden engagement isn't beneficial to me. Progressive engagement gives me something I can work with.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
When your talking front or rear brakes...... I'll take firm any time,mushy brakes no thanks.
+1

Pretty tough to modulate a mushy brake.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Einfahrt
like slamming into a
near-vertical 8-foot dirt bank then propelling
upward to land on top, with no forward progress, on
a 30-degree uphill slope of loose dirt. Rear tire
landing near the edge on top, still standing, I
start to creep forward after landing, with no loss
of traction. I use minimal throttle and ride the
clutch slipping it. That takes some deft throttle
and clutch work.
Low brow trash attitude is still here, six years later.
Well talk is one thing, and posting is another. We are still waiting on the video of the KLX, did it really happen?

And how do 'wire hangers' fit into this mix...

I guess the high brow 'tea totaller's' probably won't be back for another 6 years.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
+1

Pretty tough to modulate a mushy brake.
No, it's pretty easy to modulate a mushy brake. It's pretty hard to modulate a grabby one. I'm just talking about a brake with a good amount of lever travel before lock up. For me, I don't need or want steel braided lines, but I am not going to bleed air into my system either.

All these words are pretty meaningless. Some people would call a chassis maneuverable while other would call it unstable. It's the same thing from a different perspective. Maneuverability is instability, by definition. It's prone to deviating from course with small control inputs. It just depends if that's something you like or not.

The OP here was looking for more lever travel and a more progressive engagement from the clutch. To me, especially in 250 guise, that's a worthwhile goal.