To Big Bore, or not to Big Bore

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: To Big Bore, or not to Big Bore

ORIGINAL: maniac

To get to the point, I have noticed that several members have jumped ship,
Yeah they have. Some have even jumped on the boat that they themselves overturned! I remember some heated posts about how powerless and gutless a DRZ400 was. Only for that person now to be riding one.
Oh well, you will have that.
If your KLX doesn't have the umph that you want then get rid of it. I'm not going to stew over the power that it has. I've said it time and again, I like to ride tight trails, and I haven't figured out how to get above third gear on them. So I'm cool with my KLX.
On the other hand, for showing off to the neighbors I might switch bikes. I fired and ran my XL on Monday evening, and did my shar of showing off then. I know it would disapoint some of you to know that I didn't pull a wheely in first gear with it.
(I didn't want to lose control of my bladder)
But, at 45 mph in third gear there were some "roll on the throttle" wheelies that had to be controlled to keep from going over backwards.
Did I mention that at 60mph in forth the same thing happened?
My point is, that you won't see me on any single track trails with my XL600R! It would hurt to much.
I love my KLX and aint jumpin off the ship! I'll go down with it first! [sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-02-2007, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

For me, and in general, any money that I have spent on a purchasing abike (or mods)has come out of discrentionary funds. (Therehas beentimes inmy life where my bike has been my sole means of motorized transportation, but that's a different bucket.)

Therefore, and looking at this analytically, a bike or mods has never been "worth it". Putting that cash in a high-yielding CD would have made more fiscal sense, but you can't get the same kind of fun out of some monetary instrument than you can out of a bike.

I think thatmany of us on this forum get a great deal of satisfaction out of our non-necessity bikes (KLX250 or otherwise). Both from riding them -- whatever your style -- and, in particular, working on them, e.g.modifying them to be something different than stock.

That said, then to big bore or not comes down to personal perference. More powerful bikes can be purchased, possibly for not much more than
the price of a base bike plus mods.

A friend once said to me that if you want a high performance automobile, don't bother with hopping up some stock car, just go out and buy a new Porsche. I'd rather hop up that old Buick and never get anywhere near the Porsche, ...and I might spend the same amount in the process!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy
But man, it's fun when you twist the throttle and you get shoved down into the seat. That ain't happening on any KLX 250, big bore or no big bore.
Well, I had one and you are completely wrong about that. I guess since you got your new bike you'll be ******* the KLX like westcanca or whatever his name was. I'm not talking about the stock bike, but the 331 w/pumper. The KLX331 + pumper is the real deal. It's not a 450 that's a given, but it's a fire breathing monster as compared to its humble beginnings in stock form. I wish I could have afforded to keep mine - it was a blast to ride and different enough from the KTM that some days I'd choose one and some days I'd choose the other depending on what I was in the mood for. Both bikes rip.
not quite sure what you mean there brian- I didn't say anything I haven't already said about the KLX or anything that isn't true. You and I both know it sucks in stock form. And even with a pipe it ain't gonna pull no power wheelies. I ain't doggin' it by no means. I guess your idea of being pushed into the seat and mine are quite different. With your mods you were only at 28 horse. You are probably bigger than me too so that would come into effect when pinning the throttle and my idea of being pushed into the seat. But obviously the KLX wasn't enough for you either since you sold it. It's okay to say that. I don't miss my KLX at all as previously stated, but I do admit it was a sweet looking bike although a little cookie cutterish since it's design is over a decade old. Sure, you can invest thousands into the KLX and make it "run with a slightly modded DRZ400", but it is always going to start out as the little bike that just coudn't unless the owner has around $2000. Come on, we're just starting to get along, let's not fight again.
I probably shouldn't have made the westcanca comparison - sorry about that. But you're wrong about the characterization of the mod'd KLX. I know what I know, I've owned and ridden the stock KLX, I've owned and ridden the big bored and pumpered KLX, and I now own and ride a pretty respectable 450 enduro. Given my experience on all of those, I think I'm qualified to say the KLX331 is not the toy you keep making it out to be. It will definitely put you back on your seat and I think you do it a disservice to bash it when you haven't ridden one. A while back you were bashing the DRZ as vfrpilot mentioned - I remember you doing that. Now you own one. I'm not critizing you for that, I'm sure it is a great bike. But just consider your own experience - could it be that you might change your mind about what a dog the KLX331 + pumper is if you actually rode one?

And I want to clear up one of your statments above, I didn't sell the KLX because I didn't like it or it didn't have enough power for me. I sold the KLX because I fell in lust with the KTM. Hey, it happens. I could've been happy for a long time on my KLX as mod'd. And if money was no object, it would still be sitting in my garage. I'm very happy with the KTM for sure, but I'll always have fond memories of my KLX - that was one sweet bike, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

A while back you were bashing the DRZ as vfrpilot mentioned - I remember you doing that.
Did I say that???????
[sm=guilty.gif] [sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 05-03-2007, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Iowaguy, Nobrakes is absolutely right about a modified KLX not being a toy. I have a highly modded dual sported KLX 300 that I easily hold my own on with my riding partners that are on 450's and 525's. We are all close in riding skills as well. 99% of my riding is off road trail riding. Granted, when the terrain opens up they can leave me behind but on most of the trails we ride I am as fast and sometimes faster because of the nimbleness of theKLX. You must have the suspension properly set up as well. Also you have talked about wheelies in the past and I can tell you my KLX with an FCR35 will easily pull 3rd gear wheelies cruising on the trail.The stock CVK no matter how well jetted is just no match against the FCR. Yes I have spent probably too much money on my KLX, not all at once, but it can be a very capable off road bike. You finally made a decision on your new bike and I hope you will be very happy with it.I have ridden with a friend that has the off road version of the DRZ with an FCR carb and I would much rather ride my KLX off road in the terrain we ride. His bikejust feels way heavy and not as maneuverable as my KLX.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

see what you did ? you got them all cranky agian! you needa different bike. if your second guessing yourself now it'll only get worse as time goes by. it is a great bike. just not for you. there's nothingwrong with saying that. i bet you already know which bike you want. go get it. you'll be happier in the long run.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

As the recipient of Nobrake's hard work turning a very fun bike into a pretty high performance machine, I've got to tell you, it rips.... It's true that it now puts out 28 horsepower compared to the 35 to 38 that a slightly modified DRZ might, but in the tight stuff, the DRZ gets hung up a bit due to size, weight and an incredibly HEAVY front end...(great for street I'm guessing but man does it bog in the soft stuff...)

I've ridden them all over the past 3 months, sometimes in literally side by side comparisons, and the 331/ pumper carb combo definitely gets the KLX into contention with the 'big boys' and that's all I wanted... As a friend of mine is often quoted as saying...

"when it comes to great marksmanship, its not the arrow, but rather the Indian that makes the difference....."

See Ya on the trails.....

Old 05-03-2007, 04:43 PM

I have said it before,

Iowaguy you are such a tool! Isn't there a Suzuki forum you can go to somewhere?

Old 05-03-2007, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

"If it seems like the whole world is against you, check your premise. It might be you."

Quick Reply: To Big Bore, or not to Big Bore