Big Bore kits, Gas Tanks, and stainless steel brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Bore kits, Gas Tanks, and stainless steel brake lines

From what I've read on the net and after looking at a wr in person and talking with the yammi mechanic that owned one.

If I could get the wr for $1,100 dollars morethan aklx, I would probably get the wr... I think...it's a nice bike. It did not exist when I got my 06 klx, but it doesnot put out50% more hp than a stock klx. klx=18hp wr=24hp from what I've seen. With a big bore and pipe the klx is probably around 27-28hp. But the wr can always get a power commander, pipe and bore too which would put it over the top.

Not much help am I..lol

Old 04-26-2008, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the stock cylinder actually has an arrow on the top which clues you which way to put it in.

That makes me wonder whether that was the reason why EMS's bike's piston was contacting his valves after that 'mechanic' worked on it. It wouldn't surprize me at all if he installed the piston backwards, then lapped the valves further into the head to compenstate for it[:@]Jeeze what a quack!

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

ORIGINAL: mhammer

Hey Nobrakes,

It was thanks to your hard work on your KLX that got to this point. I was a little surprised after all that effort that you have moved on o the KTM. Thanks not only for the development, research, trial and error work you did, but thanks for taking the tim to post all that stuff back then. In regards to the 331, for as many as there are supposed to be running around out there, there isnt much data about how they are holding up. You hear about guys wanting to do them or doing them then you never hear about them after that. Or, like you, they do the work then get rid of them so the data stream stops./
The KLX250 basically has all the same bottom end engine parts as the KLX300, and people have been overboring the KLX300 forever. The KLX section here is relatively new, but if you check over on Thumper Talk in the KLX300 section, you'll find some old timers that have done every mod in the book and will be happy to share their experiences. While I sold my KLX331, it stayed in the family. Another member here purchased it and to the best of my knowledge it is still holding up. I only had about 500 miles on the 331 when I sold it, and that was a year ago. I'm sure Dirtsurfer has put on some pretty hard miles on it since then. But Shadetree and many others here went big bore, too and put on lots of miles. A16Tony did too, and has lots of miles, but I don't know how many he has after he big bored. Same with Finger Mullet. Too many big bores around here to shake a stick at.

And thanks for comment about my old posts. I miss doing those, actually. I always found it fun to do something "new to me" , take a few pics, and post up about it. For the more involved mods, I had an alterier motive in taking the pics - to help me remember how it goes back together. I'm just a weekend wrench so I even had to refer back to those pics a few times to make sure I put back together correctly. Also, I seem to have little mental glitch where even though I can triple check something during re-install, I'll always question whether I actually did it right afterwards when it's all bolted back together. Like when I did my 2nd big bore going from 300 to 331. I made sure I put the piston in oriented in the correct direction - there's a front and back. After it was all bolted back up, I would not start the bike until I verified through photo evidence that the piston was indeed installed correctly.

That makes me like this guy, I think:

So I guess I would not make it as a professional mechanic - I would constantly be either snapping photos or tearing apart engines that I just rebuilt to make sure I torqued that bolt, or installed that part correctly, even though I double and triple check everything going in the first time. [&:] I guess Deej isn't the only OCD case around here, mine's just a different form because I could care less if my bike stays dirty. In fact, I kind of like it that way.

Last edited by tremor38; 01-22-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ims 3,2 way fun

Old 04-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

never had to pee on mee jug

Old 04-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

wanna go big open ze wallet

Old 01-22-2009, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Anyone have the address for the Clark 3.7 tank? will it fit an 09 KLX250s ?

Old 01-22-2009, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey your lordship, hows things. Regarding the big bore pretty much everything has been covered by the other guys apart from Bill Blue also is doing a 351 kit as well read about it here.
Like Nobrakes said if you want smooth power stick with the CVK and just jet it right, if you want instant power to lift the front wheel and that sort of thing the pumper carbs are the better option.
The stainless steel brake lines, I have both, my suggestion is buy the front don't bother about the back. Assuming you use the front 80/20 or more that's all you will need.
Depending on your usage I'd suggest a big bore kit (330 or bigger), front s/s brake line and a rejet of the CVK.

Cheers

Last edited by MaverickAus; 01-22-2009 at 03:50 AM.