Bears on Trails: What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Bears on Trails: What to do?

Most of us have seen some ride reports with bears and evidence of their presence on trails. I was curious about what to do in the event of a close encounter with one. I saw some bear tracks on last weeks ride and I really don't want to encounter one but it's been on my mind alot. Especially after seeing the "psycho bear" in the ride report awhile back.

What's the best way to deal with a bear should one of us stumble upon one? Who here has had close encounters of the bear kind while out on a ride? What is a bears typical reaction when they encounter a human?

Mike

Old 06-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I have had 5 encounters in the past 3 years, and trust me, they are running away from you faster than you can even get a camera out. This picture from my trip up to Vancouver Island last year was the only time I actually snapped a picture. Don't worry, besides the Muzzy let's them know you are there way before you see them.

From Last August.

Name:  P8237204.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  75.4 KB

Recent evidence
Name:  P8242878.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  89.2 KB

Now come on poop haters, you knew that it was going to turn into this.

Name:  IMG00634.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  163.2 KB

And if I'm gonna run into that, I'm gonna have this with me.
Name:  PA118286.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  150.6 KB

But as Finger Mullet said in an earlier thread, bear spray will probably be a better choice.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

A lot of good that little plinker did. The bear ate the owner and the gun and then pooped it out. I would advise to avoid bears whose droppings contain large caliber handguns and riding gloves.

Originally Posted by deej

Old 06-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

lmao^^^^^

Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Awesome Brian, good stuff. Good times....

Old 06-19-2009, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Always pour alot of tobasco on your ridding gear. If you can't get away at least you can give the bugger heart burn.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
A lot of good that little plinker did. The bear ate the owner and the gun and then pooped it out. I would advise to avoid bears whose droppings contain large caliber handguns and riding gloves.
LMAO! 'That picanic basket was loaded, Boo BOO!'

Old 06-20-2009, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking

Grizzly Bear Warning
The Alaska Department of Fish and Game recently issued this bulletin...

"Warning: In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert of bears while in the field.
We advise outdoorsmen to wear noisy little bells on their clothing, so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.
It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear manure: Black bear manure is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear manure has little bells in it and smells like pepper."

Old 06-20-2009, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Move to Australia.
Our wildlife is very friendly.
Name:  images.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  4.3 KB

Old 06-20-2009, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mudjunkie
Grizzly Bear Warning
The Alaska Department of Fish and Game recently issued this bulletin...

"Warning: In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert of bears while in the field.
We advise outdoorsmen to wear noisy little bells on their clothing, so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.
It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear manure: Black bear manure is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear manure has little bells in it and smells like pepper."
Thats a funny bulletin....it tell you how to tell the difference between grizz and black BUT not what to do about it.

Basically when attacked .... a Grizz is defending territory or his bear puzzzey ..... a Black wants to EAT you...so NEVER Play Dead with a Black Bear, trust me ..... "That's All I Got To Say About That"

Quick Reply: Bears on Trails: What to do?