Battery Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Battery Suggestions?

Okay I know I have read something on hear about battery recommendations but I can't find the thread. The reason I am asking is because I still have the factory battery on my 2006 (as most of us still do) and I just want to have an idea of a good replacement that will last just as long.

Who has replaced there battery? Did you just buy another factory battery or did you go aftermarket? What is the costs difference? Would a JEL battery be more reliable? I just want to be prepared when mine finally takes the cake. I just bought a battery tender for it so I am hoping to get another year out of it (still has yet to show signs of going bad, knock on wood).

Thanks,
-Nick

Old 01-28-2010, 03:09 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Battery threads can get as subjective as oil threads sometimes, so here goes. I don't think there are many choices for the KLX250, but frankly the OEM model and the Yuasa YTX7L-BS are about as good as anything. I still have the original OEM battery in my '06, and I'm somewhat amazed. The OEM and Yuasa models are expensive enough, and frankly I don't think the gel or other even higher priced models are worth the extra money. I think many folks get a warm, fuzzy feeling from the higher tech gel and other models, but I haven't really seen that big a performance or durability improvement. In the KLR650 where battery choices are huge, I've had longer service from Yuasa Yumicron models over the years than any acquaintences who had the fancy-dan gel models of various types. I think battery maintenance is the bigger issue.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the Yuasa motorcycle batteries

Old 01-28-2010, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

my "stock" battery had to be replaced 6 months after I bought my KLX in August of 2007. I bought one from Interstate Battery and have had no issues. Don't use a battery tender, just start it up about every two weeks through the winter.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I'm still running the stock battery that came with my bike back in November of 05, 13,000 miles later it still cranks as strong as the day I picked up the bike. I really think the trick is to either ride everyday or at least keep the battery topped off with a maintainer like I do on both bikes. However my wife's 2006 XT 225 bike needed the battery replaced after 6 months. I bought a new battery, installed a 12V power socket on both bikes and now if the bike is going to sit for a week, or in the case of her bike months (GRRRR) then I just plug it in and it tops the battery off.

I really recommend that everyone wire in a 12v plug for several reasons, charging the bike is just one.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Said 12v plugs and accessories.

Name:  100_5932.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  100_5945.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  130.2 KB

Name:  100_5946.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  118.5 KB

Name:  P8186948.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  P8186949.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  104.4 KB

Really makes it easy and simple to just plug in the battery maintainer and jump across both bikes in case someone (who shall remain nameless....*cough* the wife...*cough*) leaves the key on.... I have also since added a kick starter to her bike.

Don't forget that you can charge the cell phone, run a GPS or whatever. Its all good!

Old 01-28-2010, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dw108
my "stock" battery had to be replaced 6 months after I bought my KLX in August of 2007. I bought one from Interstate Battery and have had no issues. Don't use a battery tender, just start it up about every two weeks through the winter.
I don't like to start my bike and just to run it because it can cause engine wear. I fog my cylinder for winter storage.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I made my own E-batt out of 8 A123 cells. I disconnect the battery if the bike is going to sit for prolonged periods of time and when i hook it up it doesn't even feel like it has discharged. It doesn't have any problem charging of the bikes charging system and seems to turn the bike over faster.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I have one of these-
http://turntechbattery.com/TurnTech%...y/Welcome.html

very happy with out put 1/2 the weight of the stock one.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I replaced mine with a Power Source battery. It had quite abit more cold cranking amps than the stock batt. After i installed the 351 kit the original battery wasn't getting the job done. The new one works fine.

Quick Reply: Battery Suggestions?