Battery life expectancy and Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Battery life expectancy and Maintenance

My KLX cranked a bit slow today. It had been sitting for 2 weeks. It did keep cranking long enough to start. I noticed that these are maintenance free batteries but I remember being told to add water anyway for car batteries. My Klx was built in July 2007 if I remember correctly. Thanks for any advice or info.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

3 years and 10,000 miles and mine cranks like it was new. I run the battery maintainer if it sits for a few days. I thought I read somewhere that a battery loses like 1% each day not being used unless maintained or charged by the system. But I could be wrong. On the other hand, my wife's bike after 2 years and only 600 miles had to have the battery replaced, and I always kept it on the maintainer. I think that sometimes new bikes just get batteries that have sat on the shelf too long and occasionally you are doomed from the start. I added the kick starter on her bike, and I really want to do the same to mine eventually. If for no other reason than a back up then that's ok with me.

Have you installed a 12 accessory plug yet? If so, all you need to do is to make up the male end and plug it into the bike occasionally to keep things topped off.

Here are a couple of pics for ideas.

Name:  100_5945.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  130.2 KB

Name:  P8186948.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  61.8 KB

Old 01-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Get a battery tender for sure will prolong your battery life. If your battery has removable tops and your water level is low add distilled water only and recharge. As temps drop battery efficiency drops quite dramatically. There is also really no such thing as a maintenance free battery, as long as batteries have terminals they have to be cleaned and a layer of dirt across the top of a battery can cause a discharge. So if any of your batteries in any of your vehicles have totally non removable caps they are really not maintenance free they are throw away.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

KLX built on 12/05, 5,800miles, and the battery keeps on going. No manitence done to it, or water added. Has been drained to 0 a few times while trying to crank the engine. But a quick charge brings it back to life.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

That's a real clean mount Deej!! Custom I take it?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
That's not a Battery Tender.....this is a battery tender

It'll charge two 8D deep cycle marine batts in about four hours.

Might be a little overkill for the klx...but it will recondition and charge our little batt in a little over an hour. Battery Tender DVD40 rules.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:04 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default batt life

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
That's not a Battery Tender.....this is a battery tender

It'll charge two 8D deep cycle marine batts in about four hours.

Might be a little overkill for the klx...but it will recondition and charge our little batt in a little over an hour. Battery Tender DVD40 rules.

Dead rite Finger Mullet, a normal batt tender is good enough for the puny Klx batt. Electricity baffles most people, they go to school and are taught the theory of electricity as in power goes from positive to negative where in fact the exact opposite is true that's why checking grounds is the first and most important step in solving an electrical problem just ask any poor guy who has to hook up U-Haul trailers all day long, electricity that wonderful invisible force of nature.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 AM
1st Gear Member

3 years old never checked it, never had a problem, starts first go

Old 01-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default battery

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
3 years old never checked it, never had a problem, starts first go
Nice climate you live in except for those aussie girls horrible accents.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:40 AM
1st Gear Member

They have accents?

I never noticed

Quick Reply: Battery life expectancy and Maintenance