bash plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
LOL!...no kidding on the age. I'll be 59 shortly, and this stupid KLX has gotten me more into riding the gnarlier stuff I rode when I still had a real dirt bike instead of a water buffalo KLR650.
I think you deserve a mention. I'm not far behind and I'm glad to see I'm not alone in that camp. I picked up dirt riding two years ago at 50.

What do you reply to friends and relatives who keep asking "what are you doing, you're too old for that?"
My reply I've built over time is that on the contrary, I have more time and money now than before. Plus, more mature mind makes for safer and more funny riding at the same time. Finally, no more kids counting on me and left struggling if something bad happen...

Old 09-21-2010, 06:21 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RayCour
I think you deserve a mention. I'm not far behind and I'm glad to see I'm not alone in that camp. I picked up dirt riding two years ago at 50.

What do you reply to friends and relatives who keep asking "what are you doing, you're too old for that?"
My reply I've built over time is that on the contrary, I have more time and money now than before. Plus, more mature mind makes for safer and more funny riding at the same time. Finally, no more kids counting on me and left struggling if something bad happen...
You make some good points for the explanation for what some think is dangerous, foolish, or downright lunacy for older people to be involved in. In some cases there's some truth in that assessment, but overall dirt bike riding isn't any more dangerous than many other reasonable sports or even some normal daily activities. In today's U.S. society there seems to be an undercurrent of the concept that nothing should have any element of danger. People should be insulated and cared for at all costs with absolutely no room for error. Now...I'm not promoting the abandonement of all logical and reasonable safety measures and issues that we value in our daily lives, but I think some of that overprotective zeal in some areas helps form negative opinions about activities like our dirt bike riding.

But hey...enough of my soapbox. Your points about our age often bringing maturity and hopefully some logic in pursuing our passion is a good one. I often have to ride alone when I go to Colorado, Utah, and other points out west, but I really do think about the routes I take and the potential problems that might come up. I've turned around and headed back from a sketchy trail situation many times over the years, so hopefully I'm not a total loon.

Maybe the biggest thing about continuing to ride as you get older is to...well...continue. While aging can't be defeated in the long run, the right frame of mind and the willingness to continue is a big part of not being old before your time. Some of our friend's and family will never understand why we're not acting our proverbial age, but you can bet there's probably a tiny bit of respect and envy mixed in there sometimes.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

here you go,official kawi accessoire

Old 09-24-2010, 08:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Kawasaki now have their own bash plate (part no. 157CPS0004 ) price £56.95

If your local dealer can't help then try

http://www.phillipmccallen.com/kawas...es/klx250-0910

Old 09-24-2010, 02:07 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I don't know...that Kawasakit unit seems to leave a fair amount of exposure on the sides, especially at the water pump and hose area. I like the skid plates that flare out a bit more like the Utah and most others. I use a Malcolm Smith Racing unit that has coverage similar to the Utah plate. You can't realistically expect 100% engine side coverage, but a little helps a lot.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

The biggest thing I see on those VIDs is people NOT on the pegs, with enough momentum to get over some of the bigger rocks. You MUST stay on the pegs and maintain momentum, or, you end up "walking" the bike...either beside it walking, or straddled it and walking.

I wasn't there, though. It could have been tougher than it looks on video!