Bark Busters / Handguards Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Bark Busters / Handguards Question

Hi! I am new here and just bought a 2009 KLX250S. I bought Moose Racing "bark buster" hand guards. So cut the end of the grip off only to find that there is a washer welded inside the end of the handle bar. After re-reading the hand guard package, I realize that they say you may need to cut up to 3/8" of the end of the handle bar. Well if I'd know that...

Has anyone used these or a similar hand guard where you had to cut the handle bars? Is there still going to be enough room for my hand. Is the benefit to having the hand guards worth the effort? I am just coming over to motorcycles from ATV's and do not have much experience MC riding. Your comments are appreciated!

Mike

Old 06-01-2008, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bark Busters / Handguards Question

Welcome to the forums mikey. I have the same bike, and questions re: hand guards. Good to know about the info you posted. I have been recommended to try the dealer to get the part numbers required and then try and source the parts elsewhere, cheaper.

You should pop over to the general forums to the newbie section and introduce yourself as well.There are others on here with the 09 who have handguards on their bike already, so maybe they will chime in on what, if any, handlebar alterations they had to make to get their guards to fit.

Again welcome to the forums.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Mike, I got the Moose Bark Busters on my 06 klx. I installed them on a moose bar so I had no fitment issues.

If the 09 bars are the same as the 06 bars you should be able to just drill and tap the end of the bars and install Buster directly into the tapped thread without using the expander things they give ya.

Post pics of what ya decide to do.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:54 AM

Yes.....do let us know.I am in the market for some as well.Definately a good investment if you are riding off road.Not just for protecting your hand,but the brake and clutch levers as well.Just in case you take a flop!!!Not like I ever have............

Old 06-02-2008, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I discussed this issue with my neighbor and he said he wouldn't cut new bars, I didn't want to either.He also suggested tapping it which is my plan. I have been remodeling my house but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel... Soon I will start working on the bike and will try to pull out the camera. Thanks for the info and welcome.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:25 AM

The washer you mention is only tack welded into the bar

Use a small grinding wheel to remove welds and remove.

Once this is done fit your hand guards

Do not cut your bars

Then you can concentrate on fitting the brackets which are a real pain

Good luck

Old 06-02-2008, 07:17 PM
eas
1st Gear Member

I've got the Moose Handguards w/Protectors. They're well worth the investment!!! I cut my bars down to 30" to make single track trail riding easier. The stock bars snag trees more often than shorter bars and with Handguards installed, you can literally bounce the handlebars off a tree and keep going. Sooner or later the stock bars will get bent enough times you'll want to replace them with alum ones. You get one free bend, after that they'll crack and then break. Don't lose any of the mounting hardware. The piece of fuel line hose and nut is for installing the Handguards on steel handlebars and the other pieces are for installing on alum bars. The rubber hose won't work with alum bars. You'll need to cut the ball ends off the stock levers. I covered the end of each lever with a vacuum hose cap so my fingers are less likely to slide off the lever.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Last 4 posts haven't worked...

[IMG]local://upfiles/9605/6C7BA3479AD94CECAA284CB97A75364A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-18-2008, 04:59 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Mike welcome to the forums. Just take a 5/8 drill bit and drill those puppies out of the bars. then take a dremel tool and clean it up. that's what I did.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:00 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey how are you guys posting long posts?

Quick Reply: Bark Busters / Handguards Question