Backpacks/hydration packs

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Backpacks/hydration packs

Fixing to head to Colorado for a week of off road riding. Want your input on what backpack/hydration pack yall are using. Since I won't have luggage, I need to have some storage as well as hydration. Any input would be appreciated

Old 07-05-2010, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

depends on the storageneed. I have a 1600ci backpack that is great! and has a pouch for a 1/4 gallon (I think) bag.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Try these guys. Kreiga.http://www.kriega.us/ R20 and hydrapack are on my list.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 07-05-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Try these guys. Kreiga.http://www.kriega.us/ R20 and hydrapack are on my list.
Nice pack. Will see if there is a retailer around so I can see in person
Thanks

Old 07-06-2010, 12:41 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I use hydration packs for mountainbiking, off road dirt motorcycle, hiking...just about everything. IMO they're one of the greatest inventions ever made. Camelback used to be the only one I'd buy back when these things appeared, but there are many good brands and models now...Dakine, etc. For a dirt ride on our local trails, I'll carry a medium sized Camelback Mule with a 70oz. bladder. On big trip rides in the Moab Colorado area, I carry a bigger pack with a 100oz. bladder...longer distances and the need for more gear. Truthfully, there's lots of preference in how one does a hydration pack, your water, and the gear carried. You probably won't know exactly what works for you until you try one. Maybe you can try something in the medium size range of the Camelback Mule to start with. I guarantee that if you find you can go smaller or larger as you get some use with it, you'll still wind up using that Mule in some other situations.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

What TNC said. You will find that there isn't just one for all of your needs. I personally use a camelback MULE 100oz most of the time. If I am going on a short ride or it is cooler weather I have a smaller camelback I use(40-50oz?).

It really depends on what your storage needs are and go from there. The Mule has some storage but bt the time you fit something for lunch in there and a couple tools you have run out of room(and you really have to watch what you pack for lunch). Another option is you could get a bladder that is designed to fit into a backpack.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

personally, i run a 3 litter ziptied to a chest protector, but it sounds like you need a backpack style one. try any online motorcycle shop (i perfer rockymountainatv.com) and there should be a few options.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogzilla
Nice pack. Will see if there is a retailer around so I can see in person
Thanks
Importer is so local to you. They sponsor plenty of US teams too. They are in AZ >>>"Kriega products are distributed in North America by Matrix Motosports of Chandler, Arizona

My bad, you're in AR not AZ.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought one from Costco a while back (I can't remember what its called for brand name but I'll check when I'm home) Works really nice, light, enough pockets etc.

My brother also has one that is a little bigger and has a big padded pocket for a camera or small video camera. It was a nice touch to be sure.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is the one I purchased recently. Seems pretty nice.

http://www.amazon.com/ZAC-SPEED-EXOT.../dp/B0013LBKAO

Quick Reply: Backpacks/hydration packs