Aww crap another tire thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Aww crap another tire thread

Two questions, first, any one know why the front tire starts to wear on the trailing edge of the tread blocks? It's the stock Dunlop with 3K miles, it's not even 50 percent yet. Secondly, call me crazy but does anyone know where to get a replacement rear tire that's the same 605 Dunlop or what ever stock is?

The factory tires have treated me well and the mileage I've gotten so far is great. I ride mainly road but I don't want any less of a dirt tire then stock...if ya know what I mean.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:47 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

If you're talking about the directional cupping that occurs on just about every front knobby I've ever seen, it's caused by braking.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:24 AM
1st Gear Member

The only way to get more D605's will be from other KLX owners, or through your dealer.. and it'll be costly. If you want a tire similar, but vastly superior to the D605, look at the Shinko 244. VERY inexpensive and I've been very happy with mine on my DR650.

Rob

Old 12-25-2013, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

How's the 244 in the dirt and paved twisties?

Old 12-25-2013, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

They're quite good in dirt. The rear tire is unbelievable in dirt. The front could hook up a little better, but if you ride conservatively, it's fine. These are 50/50 tires after all. On pavement, they're very good. They should feel about as good as the stock 605's on pavement, maybe slightly worse.

Rob

Old 12-26-2013, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm completely ignorant on bikes but does anyone know for certain how similar the two tire sizes are? I noticed the rear tire is a 100/100x18 but that other size comes up also. 3.5 x blah blah blah. Is one slightly skinny or smaller or they really close? Also, if I have over 3k on my tires should I replace the tube just for reliability? Lastly, how will a bike typically handel with two different tires on it?

Old 12-26-2013, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been eyeballing the D606, they seem to be one of the few tires that have a front and rear that fit our bikes. They look like a good mix for dirt and street, maybe a bit more dirt then factory.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
I'm completely ignorant on bikes but does anyone know for certain how similar the two tire sizes are? I noticed the rear tire is a 100/100x18 but that other size comes up also. 3.5 x blah blah blah. Is one slightly skinny or smaller or they really close? Also, if I have over 3k on my tires should I replace the tube just for reliability? Lastly, how will a bike typically handel with two different tires on it?

Measure your tire's width/height, then look up specs on any new tire you are interested in at the tire company's website?

Old 12-26-2013, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I like the D606, it's a fairly good all-around tire. Others don't like the front as much as the rear, never had an issue myself.
You could try trials tires, everyone that tries them seems to love them. I got one as a spare with my KTM, kinda curious to try it myself, but don't want to get used to something I can't use racing.
As to changing the tube, if it's holding air, it ain't broke, so don't fix it. Pretty sure my tubes are the stock ones and they have 25,000 miles on them. Good to carry a spare tube, just in case.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

My current choice is the Shinko 244 rear and the Kenda Trackmaster 2 front. I just got a new pair that I need to put on. I tried the Kenda K270 rear and wore it out pretty fast. The Shinko version lasts longer with the same performance IMO. The Trackmaster 2 front has a more agressive tread, but lasts as long as 2 rear tires. When I get to the dirt, I want my tires to work. They do fine on pavement for as hard as I'm willing to push them. I haven't tried the D606, but I hear they don't give many street miles. My tires only last 2500 miles or so before new tread is desired. I could go further, but dirt performance is lost.

The stock rear is a 4.6x18 tire (100/100-18).

Last edited by Lotrat; 12-26-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Aww crap another tire thread