Atuomatic compression release noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I know... that's why the rather facetious "Why, yes, they do..."

I added the rest just because if he's going to poke around in there, he may as well have a plan.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, I'm going to hold off on messing with the KACR and try the manual cam chain tensioner.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
i also have a 2009 klx250

knowing how the compression release works - when the shoes are out it is disengaged, i bent a piece of coat hanger wire (perfect because of size and that it is mild easily bendable steel) and put it in place to disengage the compression release. The reason was it was free, getting the compression release pressed out would cost me or be a pain in general.

Made a squared off u bend, 41mm inside length, perfect fit with the shoes full out, disabling the cr. Then...

i bent the wire out to the outside and clipped the excess off.

at the same time i did the marcelino cam timing modification. In fact that is why i disabled the compression release. It would not be properly timed for the repositioned cams and repositioning it would be a pain to do and have to be redone if i set the cams back to the original setting. Just easier to securely wire it in a disabled position.

The 250 turns over and starts fine without the release. I have the richer pilot jet recommended and so far my engine starts with full choke when cold, being able to be ridden off almost immediately, warming very quickly and when fully warmed up it starts no throttle almost instantly then too. I believe kawasaki left it on there because all the klx300s and 90s versions of the 250 had kick start only and may have needed the compression release.

I also did some research and found the honda crf250l doesn't use a compression release in their engine and i think i also found the wr250 doesn't either, so it makes sense that the klx really doesn't need it. Fact is there are klx650 riders who have removed the compression releases from their klx650s, but i won't go that far. The 650 doesn't spin over quite as easily as the klx250.

Edit: Just saw tnc was here, replying at the same time... I would say verify the clacking is coming from the upper left corner of the head and not from the right side cam drive. If you disable the comp. Release you should check valves as well and if the noise is still there, do the cam chain tensioner. Contact me if you need a tensioner - i make them.
this is genius

thank you