Anyone Up for Some Ice/Snow Running?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Anyone Up for Some Ice/Snow Running?

that would be kinda weird..... it would be a bigger mental barrier than riding in sand josh.... MM....im on ICE!!!!!! you would really have to get used to how the studs grab before you would have fun, strictly on ice, but woods would be cool. Then you have to get a video of a burnout on concrete with that tire at night

Old 12-04-2007, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm going to order a new cheap set of knobbies after work today and stud them.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

one thing to maybe consider is that the tires that are really expensive and made for ice is that the rubber is different, im sure its more stiff so the studs can grab, if you get asoft tire the ***** will flex and probably cause something im sure you wouldnt want to happen... so if your getting a non dot knobbie, id think to get a tire that doesnt flex as much, not sure if it would be a hard terrain or soft terrain tire. good luck

Old 12-04-2007, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Ice racing looks fun[8D]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CsE0WrGM90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4looR...eature=related

Old 12-04-2007, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

one thing to maybe consider is that the tires that are really expensive and made for ice is that the rubber is different, im sure its more stiff so the studs can grab, if you get asoft tire the ***** will flex and probably cause something im sure you wouldnt want to happen... so if your getting a non dot knobbie, id think to get a tire that doesnt flex as much, not sure if it would be a hard terrain or soft terrain tire. good luck
Yeah, I think you would want a tire for "soft terrain" as the rubber compound would be harder.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:04 PM
IG

I have friends who ride their atv's on the ice with studded tires. I almost bought some kold kutters last year for my KLX but had no idea how to thread them into the ***** and what patterns they may require. Plus, it was like 20 below zero and I had no way of getting my bike to where they were riding. But it was very tempting to do and I still want to. But my friends tell me that the guys who bring bikes with studded tires are still always wrecking for some reason, seems they can't keep the bikes up. I think it would be a great challenge myself. And when they do wreck, the damage is pretty horrific as the bike just slides non stop until it hits something hard enough to stop it. But he also said that some dude came out with a big bore Husky and just kept it pinned wot in a circle, he said he couldn't believe it because if he had wrecked his bike would have went for a mile. He obviously had some seriously sharp screws or tons of experience. I don't think there's anywhere solid enough to ride on is there, at least in USA is there?

Old 12-04-2007, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, not a frozen lake, but it's ice under there. This photo was taken on 11-03-2007

Old 12-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

u mean there isnt any ice solid enough to ride on in the us? Are you serious.... moraine state park lake freezes pretty damn thick, if you go past it in the middle of winter you can see the ice fishing "outhouses" looking things on it all over.... and the Erie PA Bay gets really solid, i have seen trucks sitting on the ice out there.... i also saw a guy on ice skates holding a huge kite!!!!!! sounds like fun.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

So would these Kold Kutters work OK at moderate speeds with every **** studded? The lake I would be running on is at least 12-18in thick, I know I've ice fished there many times.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Cool, that 1st video is in my home province...gives me something to look forward to this year..not racing, but definately sounds like a great day trip with the video camera..I think I'll do some research and see how far away it is.

Quick Reply: Anyone Up for Some Ice/Snow Running?