Anyone riding a 13/47 combo on a '09

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Anyone riding a 13/47 combo on a '09

What length chain are you riding? Have you moved your wheel forward? Thanks, feeling like a kid with a bucket but no sand. Waiting to install new ring.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 AM
1st Gear Member

i use to run 13/49. it was great wheelie in 3rd gear lol, cant remember what length but 112 is more the enough. great for off road + track but low for long rides on the road

Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I asked about this ratio recently, you might do a quick search and see what comes up. I've thought about doing it... the gutless wonder isn't very fun in the tight stuff.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

110 should do the trick

Old 09-17-2009, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, btw I searched Cliffsta and came up with what seemed like every single ratio except this one but i may have been looking at the KLX HOTD page while trying to read the results again and well....

Old 09-17-2009, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm using 108 for 13/45 so 2 extra links will work for 13/47.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:05 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I'm new to this bike, as I just got an '06 KLX250. I went with a 14/47 setup, as I'm going to be off road as much as possible and only using pavement to get from A-to-B when necessary or short hops in town. Obviously I'm not used to a 10500 rpm redline, as I've been riding KLR600/650's since '85 that have a 7500 redline. Going down the road, however, really has this thing screaming if you go 70mph. I can't imagine what a 13/47 would be like for even short jaunts on pavement. What do you guys generally run rpm-wise for pavement sections? I didn't buy this thing for touring. I go out west frequently...Colorado, Utah, So-Cal, etc...and I even haul the KLR650, as I hate that much slabbing and can't carry enough gear to be self-sufficient for backcountry camping. With the 14/47, the gearing seems just low enough to use first gear in some tight, gnarly conditions and still provide the ability to do limited pavement sections. Could one even ride this thing on a highway to any degree with 13/47 gearing? What do you folks consider a reasonable cruising rpm?...not all day highway riding...maybe nothing over 50 miles at a whack under any circumstances. BTW, this bike has most all of the possible mods short of big bore kit...full Muzzy, jetting, airbox mods including wire mesh removal, etc. The bike runs great and even feels like it might pull redline in 6th gear.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the same settup. You'll be fine. Every now and then I go on the freeway. 2 weeks ago I rode 60 miles on the freeway to a riding class, rode offroad for 2 days and then rode home. No problem. I left home at 5 AM so not much traffic. Usually 65 mph. Gassed up and figured 55 mpg. Rode all day in Shane Watts Offroad class. Gassed up afterwards and figured just over 20 mpg! Class again the next day. By the way, for those of you that don't ever see the red light come on, mine did several times. Just got moving and some airflow and it turned off pretty soon. TNC, I also use "full on" knobbies. The ride home was pretty fun on the freeway. Labor Day weekend and I was a little tired. Still cruised at 65-70, but I bailed off the freeway for the last 20 miles.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Try 55 not 70 mph. I find that comfortable for highway jaunts (our limit here is 63mph/100kmh anyway.) Run your tyres at 30 psi for the highway and slab then lower the pressure to 18 or lower for the dirt. Carry a small pump as back up if you can't find a servo.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:03 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Yeah, funny thing is the bike seems like it would run all day at any rpm. This bike has a Vapor instrument panel, but the OP may have wrapped the spark plug wire too many times if I read the Vapor installation instructions correctly. After 5000 rpm, there's a several hundred rpm fluctuation in the readout, and this is what can happen with too many wraps apparently. I finished re-wrapping the wire last night according to the instructions but haven't had the chance for a ride today to check it out.

Wow newpartsrule...20mpg? Man, I think the worst I ever got out of an XR250 4-stroke, even under race conditions was 25-30 mpg. The worst tankful I got on my KLR650 on my recent Colorado off road trip was 38 mpg, and that during some particularly rough flogging. And please understand I'm not challenging your results, just surprised. I haven't even had a chance to do a good mileage check on mine to see how it shakes out.

I had several XR250's during the 80's and early 90's, and all of them had mods and were uncorked...even raced many enduros on them. Seat-of-the-pants feel on this KLX250 seems about the same as far as power goes. I had ridden a new '06 KLX off the dealer's floor back in '06, but it was unbelieveably anemic and underwhelming. This bike already had been modded a great deal, and I was quite surprised by the power change. The PO had a 15/42 gear setup, and first gear was about useless, but it still pulled strong and hard elsewhere. Uncorking this bike makes a world of difference, not surprisingly. This forum, Thumpertalk, and a near-300 page thread on Adventure Rider have been awesome in gaining knowledge on this model bike.

Quick Reply: Anyone riding a 13/47 combo on a '09