Anyone ride/have a f(g)650 BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Anyone ride/have a f(g)650 BMW?

I am kind of interested in these bikes like the older Dakar.

A lot like a KLR but more everything. More $, more power, better MPG (how do they manage to get the great MPG), etc

I have not ridden a KLR but the extra bulk seems a bit annoying.

It would strictly be a commuter/travel bike and then the KLX proper dirt bike.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I dont have one but once thought I wanted one. I liked the red/white/blue color scheme i guess.

Well last year a beauty of a 2003 popped up for sale locally with 3300 miles on it. Loaded to the hilt with happy trails stuff. The white colored aluminum panniers had matching graphics applied. This bike was gorgeous.

Ad said to bring 5500 cash if I wanted to test ride. I did.

What a piece of poopoo. Felt like I was riding a sawhorse. I hated the way it 'turned-in' while riding straight. I would hate to be riding and have to do an evasive move. Forks are way undersize. Look like toothpics to me. As a result of that single test ride I laugh at all of the yuppy owners who have them. You couldnt give me one now. Whattaheap

Old 05-03-2012, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whyzee

What a piece of poopoo. Felt like I was riding a sawhorse. I hated the way it 'turned-in' while riding straight. I would hate to be riding and have to do an evasive move. Forks are way undersize. Look like toothpics to me. As a result of that single test ride I laugh at all of the yuppy owners who have them. You couldnt give me one now. Whattaheap
Sooo ... i'm guessing you didnt buy it ?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the interesting info.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

NOPE. Didnt buy it but it was a really good deal. Super low miles compared to other like models I had been spying on the innerweb. Most want 5k plus for a bike with few farkles and 20k miles. This one had tons of farkles, too (exhaust, aluminum panniers, windshield, Touratech, Happy-trails stuff all over). Had a new (not installed) rear tire to go with it. Just needed a new chain as the orings were starting to fall out from drying/cracking.

I was going to buy it right away when I got there and then thought I should at least ride it. Glad I did because it turned out that I just didnt like the handling or the ergonomics of the switches and dash. Sure dont understand what all the hubbub is about with those BMW's. I was caught up with the cool paint scheme I suppose.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whyzee
NOPE. Didnt buy it but it was a really good deal. Super low miles compared to other like models I had been spying on the innerweb. Most want 5k plus for a bike with few farkles and 20k miles. This one had tons of farkles, too (exhaust, aluminum panniers, windshield, Touratech, Happy-trails stuff all over). Had a new (not installed) rear tire to go with it. Just needed a new chain as the orings were starting to fall out from drying/cracking.

I was going to buy it right away when I got there and then thought I should at least ride it. Glad I did because it turned out that I just didnt like the handling or the ergonomics of the switches and dash. Sure dont understand what all the hubbub is about with those BMW's. I was caught up with the cool paint scheme I suppose.

You should have bought it and flipped it.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a Dakar 01, every year I look at all the new bakes , I still have my Dakar for me I cant find any thing better. It is the most well balanced bike that I have ever had, it has more than enough power and still gets 70 mpg I can do 300 miles on a tank of gas (yes it takes 91+} It is great for long hwy trips. If I could change anything it would be the weight, there is nothng in its class that does not weight the same. I do a lot of forest roads and trails with it with a cange of tires it is a good ADV bike. Carry a ton of gear heated grips, ABS, comfortable. I would say its a great bike. BMW has the new Sertao looks lighter but is not, very much the same bike smaller gas tank. You know I could go on and on about my Dakar I would have a nother one I cant SAY THAT ABOUT THE OTHER BIKES I have or have had in the past except for my Norton and the DT400.
I would say go ride one if you get a chance

Old 05-03-2012, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Gary2 for your view. You are certainly not alone as I have heard lots of people rave about them. Very few detractors actually. I have heard that you can feel the engine torque in a strange way but that you get used to it?

Old 05-04-2012, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
You should have bought it and flipped it.
Thought about that. Decided that the return on my 5500 was not going to be enough $$$.

Then I would be trying to explain to prospective buyers why I owned this 'great' bike for such a short time. I know that IF I were in the buyers shoes that would be a red flag for me.

Just decided to wash my hands of that pig and get over my lust for the looks/colors. Even the seller admitted that it wasnt much of 'dirt bike'. To each their own, that is why there are so many choices. Something for everyone

Old 05-04-2012, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a similar bike.... BMW X-Country. It is more like a supermoto. It has low seat height, single piston, high ground clearance. It is more like a scrambler of olden days, not really a dirt bike but can handle some offroad. It is light, looks cool.
The gearing is too tall (5 spd) & the suspension is too soft for real ST dirt riding. But it will take on any fire/gravel road you can find. It is my designated around town hauler, I got the Kawa 351 for dirt work.

Quick Reply: Anyone ride/have a f(g)650 BMW?