Anyone owned both 2006/07 & 2009 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member

im 200lbs, and my bike is as true as can be on the freeway 55-80

Old 05-21-2009, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine is stable as long as I don't move the bars... If I give the bars a quick yank to either side, the whole bike wobbles waaaaay to much. This kind of simulates what would happen if something on the road like a mid corner bump makes your wheel move. Mine always recovers after a few wobbles, but it's not very confidence inspiring, especially when Kawasaki actually admits it's an issue (in a backwards kind of way) when they describe the upgrades to the 2009. I'll probably end up w/ a Scotts if I can ever figure out a way to add one easily w/ oversized bars.
THanks.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

No issues whatsoever at any speed on my '09. I don't travel at highway speeds too often but when I do it's never been a problem. In fact, I'm always amazed at how WELL it performs at high speeds.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Contrary to popular belief I am stable. Only issue is strong crosswinds really like to shuff ya to one side. But we all know this.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm 155 lbs and I'm not sure if the bike ('07) is truly unstable at higher speeds, or whether it just feels that way, especially in windy conditions. Sometimes I almost have to lean into the wind on a straight. I'm sure if I was a bit heavier the ride would be better.

It's probably been covered before, but I found that once I took off the stock hand guards and put on some D-Flex hand guards, there was way less wind drag! The stockers were like elephant ears in the wind.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by crf230
Hope I don't start any arguments here ! I have an 06 and love it. I actually like some of the older features that got changed in 09. The only thing I don't like is the instability at highway speeds.
What instability? Mines been up to 140 without wobbles.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

My '07 used to wobble but I wore out the rear tire and put on a Kenda 70. NO more wobbles but I also aired up to 26 Psi on both. I sit back farther when riding highway now out of habit from the stock dunlop. Sitting back helps with wind induced wobbles or riding behind trucks (which I don't ever recommend). The Knobbies are 90% of the problem which is why the '06/'07 were worse than the '09's. the '09's come with more of a street tire.

Last edited by gerrynolan; 05-24-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

My '06 BONE STOCK with D603. Today, I riding to Nambe Falls, and west 502 to Jemez Mountain. There was scattered showers, some unpaved road, and off road on sand, mud and had across 2 flash flood rivers! This is one of badass experience for me with KLX! Once I get on snake curves highway through the Jamez mountain. The speed limit 55 but I m very comfortable riding at 65-70 mph.

Yes there some instability when car or truck or semi truck front of me. I feel unstable that moment. Feel so much draft pushing me cause my bike wobble! I had to down shift and throttle get front!

I get more nervous when I hit 80 mph feel bike start wiggle and feel not very stable ride.

Really this is a true light weight dual sport with 250cc and its amazing how KLX go almost anywhere! Man I love my '06 KLX so much!!!!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:08 AM
1st Gear Member

'The wobble' is self induced. Stiff arming, sharp inputs to the bars, or an accidentally nudging of the bars while clutching from 5th to 6th in the higher speed range will start the wobble easily.

No worries, Mav. I know you keep saying your bike 'doesn't wobble,' by try giving the bars a quick nudge anwhere above 120kph and you'll see what everyone's talking about.

I can see defending the bike for something it doesn't induce, but you can take it to the bank when I say it's more susceptable than a sport bike or cruiser...much more so.

Unless you've swapped out your forks with that of a Harley, your KLX will wobble with very little persuasion.

Last edited by tremor38; 05-24-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
'The wobble' is self induced. Stiff arming, sharp inputs to the bars, or an accidentally nudging of the bars while clutching from 5th to 6th in the higher speed range will start the wobble easily.

No worries, Mav. I know you keep saying your bike 'doesn't wobble,' by try giving the bars a quick nudge anwhere above 120kph and you'll see what everyone's talking about.

I can see defending the bike for something it doesn't induce, but you can take it to the bank when I say it's more susceptable than a sport bike or cruiser...much more so.

Unless you've swapped our your forks with that of a Harley, your KLX will wobble.
I agree with everything you say except the last sentence which is in conflict with the rest. As you said the wobble is rider induced, therefore the "bike" does not wobble. As for giving the bars a nudge above 120 every bike will wobble if it is induced by the rider. I don't think I have ever ridden any bike that won't. I know what your talking about yes mine will wobble if I cause it to. However the bike does not wobble unless induced by the rider.

"More susceptable than a sport bike or cruiser...much more so."

Try a KTM or any proper enduro bike, I promise they can be induced to wobble a lot easier than the KLX

Last edited by MaverickAus; 05-24-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone owned both 2006/07 & 2009 ?