Anyone hook up a led relay in favor of resistors

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Anyone hook up a led relay in favor of resistors

Pretty much what the title says. Anyone hook up one of those led relay flashers on the klx. What one did you use? how hard was the install? For those using the inline resistors, how hot do they actually get?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Nope..I haven't made the switch to LEDs yet, but when the time comes I will not be installing in-line resistors to slow the flash rate...doesn't add up to me adding a power cumsuming source to slow them down. Isn't that one rason for going with the LEDs is to save drain on the KLX? I'd be interested in learning more of this relay of which you speak though...got any links?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry no links, just search "led relay" on ebay there quite a few different ones. Saving draw wasn't the main reason I went with leds. They seem to last a lot longer in the woods than a regular filament bulb does.

I was only running rear leds last year with a standard bulb front and the lights flashed just fast(which I was ok with). Well I go through turn signals about as fast as tanks of gas so, when I got new ones this year I also got a set of leds for the front. Well there is not enough draw to get them to flash at all when you have them front and rear. I need something to get them to flash.

Resistors don't really bother me, as long as they aren't going to melt any plastic. But the relay seems like it might be the better option, especially if you see how much a flasher replacement from Kawasaki is if you ever need one. Yes,I fried one(BTW, there is no fuse for the signals, so if you short, you blow the relay) and I lost one on the trail somewhere.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

No but I installed one of those trick flashers a couple of years ago, it fixed the fast blink, and now I have 5 different flashes to choose from. Oh yeah, and I also have 8 turn signals too. LOL

Old 12-29-2009, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Have the link Deej?

Old 12-30-2009, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

The relay from Wheeling Cycle (Dirt Freak) is spelled "Reley" lol.Still not sure where it goes yet, haven't checked lol.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

After cracking up the right turn signal, ordered some 3W leds and a flasher from Super Bright LEDS.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...FS-1-FLAT.html

Gutted the housing of some short stalk turn signal housings and epoxied the LED in the housing with a couple wires coming out. The LED relay flasher plugs into the factory relay connector. 3W LED is almost blinding at night.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't use resistors, that's just dumb. The relay's are cheap, I can't tell you which one though cause I got an Aussie one.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:04 AM
1st Gear Member

This is the one I installed, from wheelingcyclesupply.com...works great...easy install.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone hook up a led relay in favor of resistors-relay.jpg  
Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ddt1972
This is the one I installed, from wheelingcyclesupply.com...works great...easy install.
That looks like the ones I see most poeple using here in Japan.

+1 on what Maverick said about load resistors being the 'just dumb' option. Why would you want to install 4 load resistors when one flasher will do the job even better? Once you've done that, you can run bulbs, LED's or both.

Quick Reply: Anyone hook up a led relay in favor of resistors