Anyone Harescramble/Enduro race?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Anyone Harescramble/Enduro race?

I'd like to enter a harescramble race eventually. Anyone race with this bike? Before I would even consider I need to pick up some gear. Here is what I'm thinking. I'll mention color schemes/matching but that is by no means the sole reason for selecting certain items.

I just bought the YZ High handlebar in red, Tusk D-Flex guards in black. I think that will look pretty sharp with the red KLX. For the scramble I would put on a 13 tooth sprocket for sure. Also considering the Utah skidplate. I have no jet kit or exhaust at the moment, and don't consider it a must for racing. I just want to have fun and be safe in the beginners class.

For boots I'm looking at the Thor 50/50 black boots. I've got some decent padded gloves that've held up well so far on the trails. The red/black Klim Moab pants and jersey match our bike perfectly and they seem like good products. The pants are a little expensive though.

I currently own a gloss white Scorpion exo-400 street helmet. For the trails I'm looking at their red VX-14 scorpion helmet. Again keeping with the red and black motif.

So, we've got a red and black dirt bike, black handguards, red and black helmet with skulls n stuff, red and black pants and jersey,black gloves and black boots.

I want to look like a hooligan, for sure. But I also don't wanna get hurt, and besides the helmet, boots and gloves it doesn't seem like most jersey's and pants offer much padding. I've banged my knee numb before and it sucks. Same goes for elbows. Should I consider some other gear for personal protection? I mean, do I NEED a bunch of chest protectors and stuff? What about additional items for the bike besides handguards and skid plate? The tool kit that comes with the bike kind of sucks, is there anything better? Also, is there a difference between enduro race and harescramble race?

I guess I'm just looking for beginners advice when it comes to getting involved in this type of racing. Not looking to go pro or anything, just wanna go have some fun. If I consistently place well in beginner I'd get bumped up obviously, but I'm not expecting that at all.

Last edited by je2000; 10-01-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:24 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I did a hare scramble this spring and had a blast. But if I were you I would not get all decked out in the lastest gear. I think the only thing I bought for my race was a chest protector and goggles with tear offs so I would be able to see if it got muddy. The rest was stuff I had purchased piecemeal from various sources over the past year or so. Nothing matches. But you don't want to embarrass yourself too badly being all color coordinated and looking like a factory rider because there are dudes there that show up in jeans and Wal-Mart work boots that will absolutely smoke you. And some of them are girls. Pretty ones at that.

Definitely prep your bike, remove the mirrors and blinkers and anything else that can get broken off, get some decent tires, but ultimately just ride it like you would a fast paced ride on your own. If you ride over your head you'll wreck and end up getting winded and cost yourself a lot of time and energy picking up your bike. Just ride your pace and finish where you will. When you are done, you'll know the areas you need to work on to improve.

Work on cardio - those are normally 2 to 3 hour races and they go non-stop. It's not like a trail ride where you can stop if you get tired, you have to always be pressing forward as hard as you can muster. It's a long race, so get a camel bak. Don't worry about a bunch of tools, maybe just a few common wrenches, pliers, etc for simple things like to straighten out a lever, shifter, etc if you go down. Any repairs you have to do will need to be fast, anything else and you're hosed anyway, so why bother.

Move out of the way for faster riders. There will be several classes racing at once. If the guy behind you is not in your class and they are faster, do the right thing and move over and let them by. But if they are in your class, they gotta pass you fair and square.

I've been meaning to do another one, but things just haven't worked out. They are a ton of fun. I had never felt so exhilarated and exhausted at the same time. It was like a drug. I wanted more.

Last edited by Nobrakes; 10-01-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I hear ya on the gear and looking like a dweeb. I figure if I was gonna get stuff having it look cool would be nice too. Just throwin that gear out there to see what people thought.

Just researching it seems like enduro's are all about time keeping. Seems kind of a pain in the butt. Harescramble you basically just ride.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:39 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, hare scramble you are racing other people. Enduro you are racing the clock and awarded or deducted points based on how close you hit your time at the checkpoints. Enduro is a bit more cerebral. Hare scramble you just go as fast as you can until they tell you to stop.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:41 AM
1st Gear Member

at the end of October I am doing the 24 hr Starvation Ridge race- last year I was part of a 6 man team.........
this year I'm going it alone in the Ironman Division! hopefully we can embarrass a few with a "little" 250!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey wedge will you have time to take a few pics along the way?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:35 AM
1st Gear Member

not a chance; but there will be a pro on the coarse takin' pictures

Old 10-01-2008, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
Yeah, hare scramble you are racing other people. Enduro you are racing the clock and awarded or deducted points based on how close you hit your time at the checkpoints. Enduro is a bit more cerebral. Hare scramble you just go as fast as you can until they tell you to stop.
See that is what I don't get. You need to match a time specifically, like over/under? I don't understand why you're deducted for taking less time to complete the race.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Also, I meant to ask has anyone raced our bike in any events? Harescramble or otherwise? Wouldn't expect MX but ya never know a guy took his vstrom on the track around here a few weeks ago. Not racing but just for fun.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
See that is what I don't get. You need to match a time specifically, like over/under? I don't understand why you're deducted for taking less time to complete the race.
Google is your friend, this seems pretty good:

http://www.norsemenmc.org/endurovshs.htm

Also, your KLX will do fine. Several folks on here have raced them in enduros / hare scrambles. Just do the basic setup stuff, like you would any bike.

Quick Reply: Anyone Harescramble/Enduro race?