Anyone ever take the spring out of your choke?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Anyone ever take the spring out of your choke?

Just wondering if this is possible before I attempt to do it..

When I start my bike cold, the choke all the way out is good for about 30 seconds. After that the RPMs climb up to like 4k... I have to hold onto the choke at the halfway point so it's not idling so high.. Is there a way to pull that spring so that it is just friction holding it?? There's gotta be a way.. Then maybe a small clip of some sort to hold it in when you're done with it...

I think that's my next project. Anyone try anything similar?

Old 04-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah I hear what you are saying. Take my wife's bike. Its the 2006 Yamaha XT 225 First of all it has the choke where it should be up by the instruments. Second it has click stops for like 5 different positions. If there was a kit to relocate and to have one with positive stops, I would be all over it. To be honest though, I just pull the choke all the way out and then when the bike starts I push it half way back in while giving it throttle until it will run smooth. Usually less than 10 seconds then push it the rest of the way in.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, that's what I do.. But sometimes I like to let the bike idle by itself while I throw some gear on.. If the bike is cold it will not idle long with the choke in.. The idle drops pretty low and eventually kills the motor.. Only way to keep it idling before it's fully warm is to hold the choke out just a little bit, sit on the bike and hold the throttle just a little bit, or just drive away. If I adjust the idle higher it'll be fine while warming up, but once warmed up the idle will be very high.. So, I try not to mess with the idle screw since at operating temp it idles perfectly.. It's just in the beginning on cold starts..

I guess I'll be the pioneer on this one. I'll pull it out and see what I can do.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I had an XT250 that had the graduated choke settings that was great for a more controlled warm-up. Good luck cousin, I'd like to have something similar on the KLX.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Well guys, unfortunately you have the same issue most Kawasaki dual sport owners, among others, have... they don't use a choke butterfly plate. They use an enrichening circuit. The **** simply opens the circuit, but with some sly work it can be modulated to an extent. It isn't as easily modulated as a choke by any means. I have the same set up on both the KLX and the Zephyr. Getting a good setting like a real choke can do is near impossible.

I will say you might be able to find a cable operated plunger like on the KLX650C model that might fit, but other than trying one I have no idea if it will work. One option would be to actually contact Sudco, one of the Mikuni suppliers for parts, and see if they might have a suggestion to get a cable operated **** that can be put up on the handlebar area.

To see what I'm talking about you could go to a site like Kawasaki's own parts site to look at the parts diagrams and compare the cable set up from a 1995 KLX650C and try to find a plunger that will work in your carb.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info klx678. I didn't know such a system existed. It would be nice if it worked like a choke, but I can live with the way it is now. It's only for the first 20-30 seconds anyway.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, it's just like the "choke" on the old two strokes. I have no idea why Kawasaki is so enamored with enricheners instead of really for real butterfly chokes. Honda's had them from about day one. I don't know about all the others though.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Yeah, it's just like the "choke" on the old two strokes. I have no idea why Kawasaki is so enamored with enricheners instead of really for real butterfly chokes. Honda's had them from about day one. I don't know about all the others though.

Butterflys in Hondas XRs come loose and end up in your engine. Common problem. I'll keep the Kawa' design thanks.

For those that neeed the choke on the bars. The Suzuki DR650 has a 40 mm CV carb' with a cable mounted choke. From what I recall it looks very similar to the KLX choke, at the carb'. Small black plastic fitting that screws in.

Check the schematics on Bikebandit.com for some pics. It's the late model DR650.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

FWIW my "85" KLR had a cv carb with the choke control mounted on the handlebars.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Butterflys in Hondas XRs come loose and end up in your engine. Common problem. I'll keep the Kawa' design thanks.

For those that neeed the choke on the bars. The Suzuki DR650 has a 40 mm CV carb' with a cable mounted choke. From what I recall it looks very similar to the KLX choke, at the carb'. Small black plastic fitting that screws in.

Check the schematics on Bikebandit.com for some pics. It's the late model DR650.
No disrespect intended, but in 7 years full time and another 13 years part time at a Honda/Kaw/Yamaha dealership I can not remember one case where that happened on any Honda. I'm sure it happened, but it was far from common by any long stretch. None of us had any of our Hondas ingest choke screws including the several XR650Ls owned by several. The only way that would happen would be if someone took the screws out and then didn't stake them on reinstallation.

You know, the fact is I've not heard of it happening too often on cars either. They use the same system.

Back to the desire to get the choke relocated, I'd either call Sudco (as I once said) and ask them or I'd get with a buddy who's willing to take their enrichener plunger out and try it in my bike. It might be that the plungers are the same on all, maybe not. I'd bet Sudco would know, but if not I'd try to con a buddy with a KLR, KLX, or even DR 650 to pull theirs and see if it would work in my bike.

Last edited by klx678; 04-28-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever take the spring out of your choke?