Anyone do Smog Removal on '09 or Newer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the "50 State" model. AFAIK, all 2009 or newer KLX250s are "50 State friendly"... which means it has all the Kommiefornia pollution cr@p on it.

Funny thing is: I was reading in another thread where someone wanted to buy a 50 State Friendly KLX250 in Arizona (or somewhere like that) and bring it to Kali. Turns out that even though it meets Kali pollution standards, Kali treats that action as illegally "importing" a motorcycle, and won't allow it! Dealers won't stock it, so people in Kali are stuck when it comes to buying a new KLX250. That state is MESSED UP! Way too much government regulation when it come to EPA related stuff, and nowhere near enough when it comes to illegal immigration. Go figure? I'm glad I didn't stay there after my 3 years of active duty at Castle AFB, back in the 80's. Lots of my friends did...

Last edited by rgoers; 03-14-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
I have the "50 State" model. AFAIK, all 2009 or newer KLX250s are "50 State friendly"... which means it has all the Kommiefornia pollution cr@p on it.

Funny thing is: I was reading in another thread where someone wanted to buy a 50 State Friendly KLX250 in Arizona (or somewhere like that) and bring it to Kali. Turns out that even though it meets Kali pollution standards, Kali treats that action as illegally "importing" a motorcycle, and won't allow it! Dealers won't stock it, so people in Kali are stuck when it comes to buying a new KLX250. That state is MESSED UP! Way too much government regulation when it come to EPA related stuff, and nowhere near enough when it comes to illegal immigration. Go figure? I'm glad I didn't stay there after my 3 years of active duty at Castle AFB, back in the 80's. Lots of my friends did...

This is simply not true. The only bikes with the canister are from California. Kawasaki says they are “50 State Legal” because they add that crap to the California models and the California models only. It is cheaper for them to add that to just California bikes then to add it to all of them when it is not necessary for rest of the world. That is why you can’t buy a bike outside of California and bring it in. So take a look at the previous owner and I bet it was from California.

Anyways from what I understand the canisters can be removed and the hoses from the tank need to be longer then routed down next to the rear shock.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers

My 09 did not have the canister, i think theres a 50 state bike AND a "Non-Communist" state bike.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
This is simply not true. The only bikes with the canister are from California. Kawasaki says they are “50 State Legal” because they add that crap to the California models and the California models only. It is cheaper for them to add that to just California bikes then to add it to all of them when it is not necessary for rest of the world. That is why you can’t buy a bike outside of California and bring it in. So take a look at the previous owner and I bet it was from California.

Anyways from what I understand the canisters can be removed and the hoses from the tank need to be longer then routed down next to the rear shock.
That's strange, since I AM the previous owner!!! I bought the bike brand new in 2011 with 1 mile on it. It was a dealer leftover. I got it for $3499 with a one year factory warranty. I live in Utah, but I actually bought the bike in Wyoming, since that dealer was closer to me than other dealers in UT that were offering the same deal. Wonder how (or WHY) they got their hands on the Kali model?

Last edited by rgoers; 03-14-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Does anyone have a definitive list of smog parts that can be removed? All I'm seeing are bits and pieces here and there.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Does anyone have a definitive list of smog parts that can be removed? All I'm seeing are bits and pieces here and there.
On the 49 state models it comes off in one piece. Theres a hose that connects to the front of the engine below the exhaust valves which runs back to the airbox with this plastic valve thingy that connects the hose and then theres a hose from the plastic valve thingy to the carb. Disconnect these three points and cap the vacuum ports with VINYL vacuum caps. The rubber ones will disintegrate in less than a year.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I recall seeing bill blue selling a smog "eraser" billet plate. It was a few years ago but anyone use that?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikey113
I recall seeing bill blue selling a smog "eraser" billet plate. It was a few years ago but anyone use that?

I think bill still sells that piece. Very trick if you've got the extra coin.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the Bill Blue block off plate.

It comes with the 351 kit, no extra charge.

Just the plate itself is about 10 bucks, I think.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mel brooks
I have the Bill Blue block off plate.

It comes with the 351 kit, no extra charge.

Just the plate itself is about 10 bucks, I think.
Yep, I seen it on his website. What does it cover and does it fit any 2009 forward?

Quick Reply: Anyone do Smog Removal on '09 or Newer?