Anybody seen....

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 09:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Anybody seen....

Exactly, given the room the Ninja would eat the KLX for lunch, however in the twisty stuff, esp with the 331 and pumper the KLX would leave the Ninja in its wake. I'd love to have the money to do the 331, pumper, suspension, brakes and stainless front brake hose and have it all tuned right. [8D] .... oh yes and the Staintune pipe

Old 11-09-2006, 09:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, buddy!

You're only a few THOUSAND miles away from where I live, but I'm on my way!!!! We'll see then!

Old 11-09-2006, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

LMAO

bring it on !!!!! [8D]

Old 11-09-2006, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

Well, let's talk about the design of a dual-purpose bike for a minute here. It is designed to work on the road and off road. Because of the compromise, I'm sure it is NOT the best off road, nor the best on road that it can be. Now, if you change a couple of things around and enhance the handling and braking, the KLX will simply rip in the tight stuff.

Up at Deal's Gap - 318 turns in 11 miles (sorry for the math Deej, but here goes!) - (5280 X 11) / 318 = 1 turn every 185 feet! Now, we're not talking 15, 30 or 45 degree turns here, we're talking real turns here! Well the "King of the Hill" of the road rides a KTM Duke supermotard. He will whip anyone that runs the "Gap" by a wide margin. Not only can he ride, he lives in the area and is very familiar with U.S. 129.

I have had first hand fun with some of the sportbike guys. If you put them on a very tight course, they can not run with a dual-purpose bike. I have done this both on a very short course and another course that was ours to use for awhile. There was a housing development that ran into some financial woes. The roads were built and then the money problems hit. It was out in the middle of nowhere and we marked a nice little short course out there. No straightaway longer than 150 feet, sharp turns, lots of "S" turns and just something took a lot of skill. One of my good friends is an ex-semi professional motorcycle road racer. He had his MuZ Mastiff - a dual-purpose bike, Yamaha 660 cc engine and sportbike tires. Weighed about 320 pounds. He toasted rider after rider on GSXR 600's, 1000's, ZX's, CBR'x and YZF's. Nothing could come close to him. I went out with my KLR650 and came close to what he was doing. He made a bit more power, so I couldn't pass like he could. However, I could still go to the inside of the sportbike guys in the turns as I could carry more speed into the corner than they could.

No, if they have a straightaway where they can take advantage of their powerband, there is no way you can keep up. The idea is to pick your road to have fun on. Here in Florida, there are not many roads where that can happen - at least not without special help in making one.

Supermoto racing is one of, if not the most exciting form of motorcycle racing - at least in my opinion. I love to watch them slide the bikes around through the turns and I'd bet that if Rossi, or Hayden or any of those boys brought one of their MotoGp bikes to a Supermoto race, they would get eaten alive! You can make instant power like a thumper with a multi-cylinder motor!

Of course, this is just my opnion.

+1 on this. I think what some of the skeptical guys are missing is the adjective TIGHT, as in very TIGHT twisties. I run two different types of courses up here in the mountains. One has the type of high speed sweepers that put the sport bikes at home. They will eat me for lunch during the first 1/2 to 3/4 of that course. If they lolly gag to the last 1/4 where it tightens-up, they're in for a big surprise.

On the really tight courses, where their weight becomes a factor, I dust them. The Ninja 250 can hang pretty well, but there's one thing that causes them to drop back...bumps...my 11 inches of travel soaks up what makes them bounce...especially when putting power to the ground.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:10 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

It would be a great race nonetheless, to see who would really come out on top! Sure, the ninja 250R weighs more, but not all that much especially compared to a 600 size or bigger. The 250R has better high end power compared to the KLX's single cylinder, so it would work great through the twisties in a lower gear.
I guess running them against each other would be the only way.
I was just re-reading this thread when I remembered years ago I was on my DR250 (dual purpose tyres) and a mate was on a Honda CB250, we were playing "chasies" round town (small town, sunday, no-one around). When he was leadingI caught him easily all the time, when I was leading I would come out of a corner, watch him in the mirrors and as soon as he got close I'd hit the brakes and go round a corner. Because he was at a higher speed trying to catch me and also because of the higher weight of the road bike he would lock up the rear and get totally sideways trying to slow down to get round the corner and I'd lose him pretty easily.
Now I know open road riding is different however this highlights the weight difference and ease of getting round the tight stuff on a dual purpose bike. Just imagine onthe KLX with the road tyres it would take a damn good road 250 to match corner speed and have the low down grunt to get out of the corners quicker.
[8D]

Old 10-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I have seen many threads on people spanking sportbikes on their supermoto bikes.... you get a 450, 510,600 cc SM bike.. and a good rider, could spank almost every sport bike in the twisties.... now out in the open is another story....

Old 10-12-2007, 11:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Bringing back these old threads is almost like having Marty around again.
Also makes me remember what I forgot.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:46 PM

yep, and you guys thought I was crazy for posting up that the DRZSM would spank the GSX-R's in the corners and here you are preaching about it to the pulpit. you think the KLX"SM" is fun, I encourage you to go ride the DRZSM. it is as much fun, but multiplied by 10 since it has all that extra horsepower and torque, not to mention it has the brakes that you guys are dreaming of- STOCK. Or is it that since I owned one that it won't handle worth crap?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy.
Or is it that since I owned one that it won't handle worth crap?
No not at all, it's because in every thread you were preaching how much better the DRZ was than the KLX. Thats what got people annoyed. It aint rocket science. Anyway I bet a KLX kitted with a 331 and 320 rotor would spank a yellow (or black) pig anywhere.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ive came across a few in the canyons and they do rip it up. it would be cool to see'em battle on the track.
ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

I have seen many threads on people spanking sportbikes on their supermoto bikes.... you get a 450, 510,600 cc SM bike.. and a good rider, could spank almost every sport bike in the twisties.... now out in the open is another story....

Quick Reply: Anybody seen....