anybody rode a TE310? How does it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I hear that KTM are planning a 350 for 2010 release?
Could be just the ticket.
Then again, if it's only an MX version.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
I hear that KTM are planning a 350 for 2010 release?
Could be just the ticket.
Then again, if it's only an MX version.
Yes. mx only. It does have fi and linkage rear suspension.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 AM
1st Gear Member

what about the klx 351?

Old 11-28-2009, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fgk228
what about the klx 351?
Apples to oranges comparing any size displacement klx to these bikes. The harder you ride the faster you will realize it.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:26 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2k1w=no$
Apples to oranges comparing any size displacement klx to these bikes. The harder you ride the faster you will realize it.
Exactly, but this goes back to my point. Are we actually comparing the KLX to the Husky, a KTM, or other more exotic bike? The KLX and Yamaha WR250R are very decent off road bikes, reasonably priced, with relatively low maintenance...with the KLX being the simpler, less expensive choice. Just plating thoroghbred dirt bikes does not a DS bike make. Those bikes fit a niche that some riders want and need, but even for someone who had real race bikes over the years and raced enduros with those bikes, I did not really want the maintenance, cost, and lack of overall durability they offered for a plated DS bike. The KLX and similar models offer almost bulletproof durability, low cost, and low maintenance. Time after time, I'm more willing to go off in the sticks and make the necessary pavement connections with more confidence on a bike like a KLX than I would with a "DS" KTM, Husky, etc.

Don't get me wrong. Those bikes are amazingly proficient and a pleasure to ride. Apples and oranges indeed. That said, the KLX isn't a KLR250. The KLX is a much better choice compared to some of these "alleged" 250-class DS bikes...and that's both on the high and low end of the DS spectrum.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the choice really comes down to how hard you want to ride in the dirt. If you want a true dual sport the klx can't be beat. With minor mods it will go anywhere any other bike will go, just at a slower pace.

If you just need a plate to get to the trails or hop trail to trail there are better choices than the klx. That is the way I ride my klx and in the very near future it will be replaced by a "true" plated dirt bike.

It really just depends on what your needs of a bike is.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought my KLX250s in may, I picked the KLX cause it looks good without mirrors LOL. It has a factory plate, easy maintenance. Plus I hadnt ridden offroad since the early 1990's, when Seattle was the center of the entire worlds attention as far as music goes, anyways I needed to learn how to ride again. I found this unpowered mini beast perfect. I learned how to ride with the power I had(2 rides) then I began upgrades. Now I want the 351cc kit and to do the suspension. I love the way this bike looks, I love the green color the stock suspension isnt too bad, though I've pulled my liscense plate up inside the rear fender doing a 2 foot high jump. I flew an entire 6 feet at the most LOL.
And now for another clgdswr (clogged sewer) dumb question. Does anyone know or heard of these KLX250s being allowed in harescrambles? I'd love to try a harescramble next season. Not win, just to try

Old 11-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

HardTaco ran his in a couple hare scrambles. They'll allow any bike as long as it meets the class cc requirements. Go for it. I'd recommend removing blinkers and stuff though.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Neil,

Thanks, I love my F800GS. Except for the knobbies, that looks like mine

My F800GS is my road bike, it replaced my cruiser. I dont need a cruiser any more. I have learned not to say "never" anymore, but I dont see another cruiser in my future. The Beemer works great on the road, and well on any half-decent dirt pathway.

As for the TE310, I am looking for a more dirt oriented (but near the smaller end of cc spectrum) Dual Sport. I would like a pure dirt bike, but that is just not practical. I must have that licence plate.

300-400cc would be great.

I took my Z400 Sport ATV out on friday. Wow. It had been awhile since I played with the 400cc. That is alot of power.

My goal here is to add a bike that further increases the stables diversity. The TE310 seemed a good fit. Dual Sport, alittle extra power and still lite.

Ideally (of course) I'd like a low maintance machine. Not sure if the TE310 meets this criteria.

Anyone,
Any other suggestions?

Old 11-29-2009, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SlapDrum

Anyone,
Any other suggestions?

Katoom 300EXCR with electric leg.

Berg 390.

Quick Reply: anybody rode a TE310? How does it compare?