Anybody ditched the tool bag? Suggestions for moving it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Anybody ditched the tool bag? Suggestions for moving it?

Well the title of the thread basically says it all. I'm looking for a solution to remove the toolbag from the rear fender, and still have that storage space somewhere else on the bike for the crappy free tools. If it were just paperwork I'd put it in my wallet, but I'd like to have the tools just in case. If the stupid puke bottle wasn't where it is, I could make a tool tube and hang it off the subframe, problem solved. I'm thinking maybe make a tube and hang it underneath the fender on the subframe. Yeah it'd get pulverized by rocks and mud, and it'd be inconvenient to reach, but it would be out of the way and INGOGNITO.

Just trying to get it looking more like a dirt bike. I've removed the right hand mirror, and of course I did the big tail trim and signal tuck. Trying to figure this mystery out. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Here's an older photo of the bike that I photochopped the bag out of.

Name:  nobag.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  96.3 KB

Last edited by cliffsta; 01-11-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I dunno. The Suzuki DR's have the tool tube where the KLX "puke bottle" is located. There has been a member or two here who has relocated the "puke bottle". That might be an option for you. Then you can add a tool tube. I really liked the tool tube on my old Suzuki dual sport.

I think the fender bag adds character to the overall appearence of the KLX. The '09 fender bag is more functional because it's bigger than the '06-'07 models. But to each his own. There's gotta be some place on the KLX to convieniently stash some tools.

Mike

Last edited by KDXmike; 01-11-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

I can see your problem on the 09, I ride an 07 with a smaller bag and rack, first thing I did was ditch the crappy stock tools (they will do more harm than good) and get decent ones and I put a spare tube in the tool bag, maybe one of those enduro fanny packs that come with decent tools? I know some guys hate wearing them but just a suggestion.

Last edited by oldphart; 01-11-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: missed a word
Old 01-11-2009, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not entirely opposed to the fannypack idea... my dad usually wears his on longer rides, it holds a couple bottles of water, mini first aid, and it could hold tools / paperwork. Its a PITA to have to always wear it, though. On the other hand, I could ride without the crappy stock tools. Pops has his with him, and if I'm alone, I always have the cellular, so if I get in trouble I can just call for help. I have the registration and a map in a small ziplock folded up, it would easily fit in my back jeans pocket.

My dad made a tool tube for his DRZ, and its perfect:

I'm just looking for any place you guys have thought to strap/stash/stick the little blue bag of tools, or some other means of storage.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Isn't there enough room under the left side cover to rig something big enough to carry a tool pouch? I can't see the front fender very well but there looks to be a notch down the center under the headlight. Is there room to secure a tool pouch there? I really like my Maxpedition pack but my 06 has a rack that it attaches to. What about something like a maxpedition bag lashed to the front headlight shroud?

You could lash a pack to the rear fender with a rack but it might take drilling some holes or adding some attachment points. My pack carries my tire kit and has allot of left over room and compartments plus it expands of compacts depending on what I need to stuff in it for the day.

Name:  maxpackstuffed.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  42.2 KB
Name:  maxtc2.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  17.3 KB
Name:  maxpacked.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  24.6 KB
Name:  maxflat.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  17.9 KB

There is a little room between the handguards on the bars. I mounted a fishing rod tube there. It obscures part of the speedo and tack but I can get to my key fine.
Name:  mfishrodmount.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  16.3 KB

Last edited by horizonod; 01-11-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Hm, that bag on the rack is 180 out from what I'm trying to do. I thought about the airbox lid, but then I remembered I'd need a 8 mm socket to get to it. D'oh. Too bad we don't have the quick-snap thingies like alot of other bikes have on their side covers. I'm thinking there might be enough room between the puke bottle and the rear cover to slide the tool pouch and the paperwork, maybe inside of a larger pouch to protect it. Attaching it would be a puzzle. Behind the number plate might work out.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

This is gonna sound crazy, but I'm researching to see if I can't fabricate a tool tray that fits beneath the skid plate in between the frame rails and secures with a pair of 5mm allen head bolts. I can mount a 5mm allen wrench just about anywhere to open the tray...

There's probably about 1/2" x 5" x 5" of room there to store tools so I need to locate some of that foam that resists hi-temps, then cut reliefs into it to store the tools and stuff it into the gap, then fiberglass a lid that rests against the skidplate itself

Old 01-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

You say you have done the big trail trim and signal tuck again I say I haven't seen an 09 in person, could you possibly ditch the helmet holder lock deal and mount a tube something like your dads? Just clutching at straws here.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Thant sounds like a good idea.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Only thing I could come up with, funny how a problem can bug you for a couple of days. I had thought maybe something and not much at that could be fitted behind the left rad shroud, but then you have the "I need a tool to get to my tool kit problem". Which wouldn't be much just mount one of those "T" handle wrenches to your frame. I'm sure he will work something out.

Quick Reply: Anybody ditched the tool bag? Suggestions for moving it?