Any Tips for Changing Rear Sprocket & Chain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Default Any Tips for Changing Rear Sprocket & Chain?

Alright folks, based on my FedEx tracking information, my new 108-link chain and 45T sprocket will be here today. I am chomping at the bit to get these bad boys on, so I need to know what, if anything, to look out for.

I haven't really looked that closely at it yet, but just thinking it through, I guess I have two options: (1) remove the front sprocket to easily remove the chain or (2) try to work the old chain off the front sprocket and the new chain on. Any thoughts on that point? I am not even sure #2 is physically possible. When I changed my front sprocket to the 13T, I had a pretty tough time just working the chain off of the sprocket after loosening the sprocket. I figure that won't be hard this time, though because I will start by loosening the rear hub and getting some slack into the chain.

As for the back hub, are there any watchouts there? I figure I just loosen the main nut holding both sides on and remove everything. From just a quick look, it appears that the sprocket swap is just a matter of 4 or 5 bolts and then put it all back together. Is there anything special that I should do while I am in there?

I seem to recall that Nobrakes recently lubes his swingarm bearings. I read through that post when he did it, but I don't remember how involved it was. If I do decide to do that, what kind of grease should I use?

Thanks all,
Chris

Old 10-25-2006, 04:13 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Any Tips for Changing Rear Sprocket & Chain?

dont you have to take the master link apart to get the chain of off the bike? if you do that just pull it through the front sprocket, thats what i have done, but i didnt have any trouble getting the chain off of the front sprocket with out taking the master link apart, over winter im going to be greasing all the bearings, so i was wondering what kind of grease i need for that too... good luck with the rear sprocket install... id make sure the sprocket bolts are torqued to the right amount... i have the service manual at home, im sure it says how tight to make them....

Old 10-25-2006, 04:22 PM

EMS,

I'll take you up on the offer to look up those torque values. I don't have a service manual yet, so I must mooch off of my buddies here.

As for the chain, I have never done it, but I thought that I would be receiving a completed chain (full circle). I would think that under normal circumstances, if I were only swapping the chain, it would be easier to remove the master link on the installed chain & replace with the new chain and connect the new master link to complete the chain. Since I have to remove the rear wheel this time to do the sprocket change, I thought it would be easier to keep the chains intact. Again, I have zero experience in this area, so I don't know what is the easiest thing to do.

I also don't have any chain tools. If I have to work with the master link, then I will need to look up KawiWawi's chain tutorial from a while back. It did not look terribly complicated, but I don't want to mess with it unless I absolutely have to.

I will keep an eye out for those torque values. Thanks.

Chris

Old 10-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

if someone has access to thier service manual they could tell you if not i can post it when i get home... i have the service manuals at home. The master link has to come apart to get the chain off and to put the new chain on the bike. I have taken my chain off to clean it good with kerosene... you can just use a screw driver to pop off the the clip holding the master link together, and it takes a little more persuading to get it back together... but i did it with out any special tools or anything.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:53 PM

EMS - Good to know about the chain swap. As for the torque values, it will be late tonight or maybe even this weekend before I am able to do the work, so there is no huge rush.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Rear sprocket nuts- 29 N-m (3.0 kg-m,22 ft-lb)

Old 10-26-2006, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Brian made a recommendation to Julia over at ADVRider.com about what kind of torque wrench to get (he suggested one that does 60 ft-lbs as a minimum, but might as well get one that does 80 ft-lbs to cover the rear wheel axle nut).

I've had a cheapy one for a while and just checked to see what its limit was - 50 ft-lbs, with an "at-rest" reading of -2 ft-lbs (I told you it was a cheapy ... made in Taiwan!!!) Man, doesn't that just torque your nuts!

Old 10-26-2006, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

I am wondering why you bought a new chain to go around the 45 rear. The stock chain is 106 links, your new one is 108. My adjuster with my 13-tooth is on 6. Adding 3 more teeth on the rear with that much slack tells me that the stock chain will work even with the larger sprocket. And even if it doesn't, adding a couple more links is much cheaper than buying a whole new chain and fumbling around to get it off and the new one on.
Iowaguy,

I switched to the 13/45 set up last week. The stock chain was too tight and I resorted to adding a few links.

As far as the setup, I love it, it's like a different bike. It pulls hard through all the gears. At highway speeds it is taching higher, however at 70 mph in 6th gear it accelerates easily up to 80 mph with roll on throttle.

I hope you like it as much as I do.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:59 AM

Thanks, EMS.

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Quick Reply: Any Tips for Changing Rear Sprocket & Chain?