Any Tips on Adjusting Clip on Needle Without Pulling Carb?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Default RE: Any Tips on Adjusting Clip on Needle Without Pulling Carb?

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Iowaguy, i used that link for my carb rejetting too... I understand what freezing does shrinks it.. but why the warm water? wouldnt that expand it... i used warm water and it worked for me... but i just dont know why... ??
I have not used hot water yet. I have read several places (including the HMF thread) that it works, but I agree with Eric that the fundamental mechanism is a mystery. (A) I can't figure out why it would work and (b) I don't like the idea of intentionally introducing water into the carb. Do you let it sit and dry for a while before putting the diaphragm lid back on? Do you blow air through the carb before reinstalling? Seems strange to me.

Not arguing with the tip, Iowa, just can't figure out whether I should do that particular thing or not. I guess enough people have used that approach that if there was a problem we would know it. It just doesn't feel right.

I will use the needle-nose approach to try to snag that needle though. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

iJust dryed it off with a towel, and made sure there wasnt any water on it... letting it air dry would defeat the purpose of getting it warm, it would cool back off....[&:]

Old 12-19-2006, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

My advice is to just take out the diaphragm and slide... Don't worry - you'll get it back in.
Just go nice and slow when putting the cap back on - keep checking that the diaphragm is seated and as you tighten the cap screws very slowly, make sure it's seating nice and flat all the way around. Just don't pinch the diaphragm - it's not too hard.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Maybe the warm water expands the "o-ring" edge of the diaphram, whichkeeps itin its groove when you reassemble?

But I've heard the freezing trick works, too, so go figure?!?? [sm=insomnia.gif]

I would try either one of these before I tried Vaseline, though. Not that your diaphram is the same thing as a condom, but ... [sm=smiley3.gif]

Old 12-20-2006, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because I pull the top off of CVKs all the time and pull the slide, needle, spring, and diaphram. I never have the slightest difficulty getting the diaphram back in. Hmm...

Old 12-20-2006, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member

lmfao, same here........ no issues

Old 12-20-2006, 08:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I used hot water because of the recommedation of the HMF rep. I don't know if it really helped or not, because the bead on the diaphram did not completely settle into the groov unit I put the metal cover on top, pushed down evenly and felt it pop into place.

*Here's a sure fire cure for the problem:.....Buy a pumper carb![sm=bounceybounce.gif] [sm=closed.gif]

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because I pull the top off of CVKs all the time and pull the slide, needle, spring, and diaphram. I never have the slightest difficulty getting the diaphram back in. Hmm...

Old 12-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

not all of us have that disposable income tremor.... i thaught we have gone over this.....

Old 12-20-2006, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: tremor38

*Here's a sure fire cure for the problem:.....Buy a pumper carb![sm=bounceybounce.gif] [sm=closed.gif]
That hurt! You cut me real deep right there brother. [:'(]

Quick Reply: Any Tips on Adjusting Clip on Needle Without Pulling Carb?