any suggestions on front fender tool bag?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default any suggestions on front fender tool bag?

looking to get a small front fender tool pouch and a nice rear rack and ditch the homemade one i have any suggestions on some would be great, also which ones to steer away from.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I have not had any luck with fender bags that have the hooks that strap to the sides of the fender. Mine fell off on the trail a few times and I saw it, stopped and picked it up. Last time I went riding it fell off and I did not notice, its gone forever.

I am going to go with a number plate bag that straps around the handle bars and fork tubes. Probably the one Wolfman sales.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Why not screw it into the fender?

Old 06-14-2012, 04:25 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Why not screw it into the fender?
Yes...bolt it on. Over many, many years I had all manner of rack bags, number plate bags, fender bags, and tank bags. Unless you're just riding on medium dirt roads, straps and velcro don't seem to cut it for reliable bag retention...especially if you have things like tools in them.

I never had much luck with tank bags on most dirt bikes, as they got in my way of scooting forward in aggressive riding situations. Also most all my bikes have had higher capacity fuel tanks that stick up a lot higher. In recent years I've come to like the Malcolm Smith fender bag and have it bolted to my front number plate. It's almost too big for a fender bag. For my fender bag and rear rack bag, I got mine from a bicycle shop. They seem to have more choices of all kinds of durable bags that are easily adapted to dirt motors. That front fender bag on mine is described as a cell phone bag, but it must be for a Jerry Seinfeld era portable telephone...LOL! The rear rack bag is a bicycle rack bag, and it's just the right size. Bicycle stuff is a great option. You might need to look online or at the shop's catalog to find some of this stuff, but it is a great option. I cover the rear rack bag with a couple of plastic grocery sacks just to be waterproof.

Attached Thumbnails any suggestions on front fender tool bag?-dolores-2.jpg  
Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I got a moose front fender bag for like $20 at my local shop.

It is my toolbox on the trail, carries pretty much everything tool wise.

It is strapped down and stays pretty good. It does have a loop so you can zip tie it to the front fork. If I use the zip tie, it never comes off.

Name:  100_2043.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  191.8 KB

Last edited by BigSky KLX; 06-14-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:41 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

BigSky, that's not a tool bag on your fender, that's a very large, dead cat.

Mine's just a dead squirrel.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the same one Bigsky has. I had it bolted through the front fender for awhile but decided I didnt like it up there. In the terrain I ride I thought it was too much to have hanging on the fender. I have it bolted to the rear fender now where the rack and small stock bag used to be. Tube, pump, tire irons, registration, $20, ins card, master link, zip ties, etc in there.
Dan

Name:  Picture1114.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  164.3 KB

Name:  vlcsnap-2152095.png
Views: 784
Size:  337.9 KB

Cant see it too good but its all i have
Name:  DSCF0802.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  49.8 KB

Last edited by dan888; 06-15-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
BigSky, that's not a tool bag on your fender, that's a very large, dead cat.

Mine's just a dead squirrel.
Ha ha, that was on a two day trip. So I had it crammed full of all kinds of tools.

It does look a little big there.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

The Moose Racing fender pack is good to carry a spare inner tube. Dont know if I would carry anything heavier on the plastic fender. I like the Wolfman Enduro tank bag. Its smaller than many others.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kojack06
.... Dont know if I would carry anything heavier on the plastic fender. I like the Wolfman Enduro tank bag. Its smaller than many others.
Yeah, look at what happened to dan888's bike from having a front fender bag on it!

Quick Reply: any suggestions on front fender tool bag?