Another tires thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
The 270's don't look like they have any side tread on them, like the stockers do. Has that been a problem for anyone who runs them?
270's have been fine for my KLX as well as my KLR in the desert. I run the pressures down below 20 on the KLX, and about 20 on the KLR. I like them because the carcass is a bit softer than many tires, which helps on the constant rocky terrain I used to ride upon. Don't know how they are going to do here in Northern Utah.

I have a more aggressive front tire on the KLX now for better braking and turning bite, and the KLR now has an Enduro Heidenau (German-made, sort of hard to find) on the rear...it has the reputation of lasting longer on pavement than the 270, and pavement is something the KLR is going to be doing more of now that I've moved.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
Looks like it's only available in an 18. Don't we have 17's on the rear of our KLX's????
Only if you have an SF. The S bikes have 18" rear.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Well paint me green and call me a frog! That's how much I pay attention to my bike's specs. For some reason I just cannot seem to remember the tires sizes. Must be CRS setting in...

Old 07-09-2012, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

The "Best dual sport tire" topic is starting to look alot like the "Best Oil" topic. I typically ignore the "I just got this and haven't used it yet, but it's the best" reviews. I look at trends or mostly good or mostly bad reviews. I don't have many miles under my belt so I don't really know good from bad. I'm sure most riders could out ride me on a bald tire. Everyone's criteria in what they need out of a dual sport tire is different. I was looking for a cheap 80 dirt 20 street tire with an emphasis on mileage. I'll never see mud and avoid sand, so I went with the K270. Almost went with the D606, but the price and low mileage killed it for me. Almost went with the IRC GP1, but couldn't find one for the price of the K270. My decision was all based on anonymous reviews and a few known reviews... and you guys are no help at all.

So in the end I learned how to change a tire, that I should have protected the aluminum rim, and that there are a few tire duds to stay away from (IE Deathwings), but tire I got did what I needed it to all for 50 bucks. We'll see how long it lasts. I must ride like an jerk because I got lots of wear in just 100 miles.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
The "Best dual sport tire" topic is starting to look alot like the "Best Oil" topic. I typically ignore the "I just got this and haven't used it yet, but it's the best" reviews. I look at trends or mostly good or mostly bad reviews. I don't have many miles under my belt so I don't really know good from bad. I'm sure most riders could out ride me on a bald tire. Everyone's criteria in what they need out of a dual sport tire is different. I was looking for a cheap 80 dirt 20 street tire with an emphasis on mileage. I'll never see mud and avoid sand, so I went with the K270. Almost went with the D606, but the price and low mileage killed it for me. Almost went with the IRC GP1, but couldn't find one for the price of the K270. My decision was all based on anonymous reviews and a few known reviews... and you guys are no help at all.

So in the end I learned how to change a tire, that I should have protected the aluminum rim, and that there are a few tire duds to stay away from (IE Deathwings), but tire I got did what I needed it to all for 50 bucks. We'll see how long it lasts. I must ride like an jerk because I got lots of wear in just 100 miles.
who peed in your cheerios this morning? I dont think anyone claimed thiers was the best.. he was asking for comments... Dont like it then dont jump in and throw your childish comments. Only person wrecking the tread is you buddy.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by revbillyg
who peed in your cheerios this morning? I dont think anyone claimed thiers was the best.. he was asking for comments... Dont like it then dont jump in and throw your childish comments. Only person wrecking the tread is you buddy.
Sorry my post came off that way. Wasn't the intent. It was just general in nature after reading tire reviews online. I wasn't referring to anyone here. Picking tires has been an education for me. I just though it was funny that every tire made can be both the best and the worst depending on who you talk to. Back to my cheerios.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I think you just have to look at the trends. Some tires do have traits that are noticed my all. Wear is a something that the trends help with for instance.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lotrat
Sorry my post came off that way. Wasn't the intent. It was just general in nature after reading tire reviews online. I wasn't referring to anyone here. Picking tires has been an education for me. I just though it was funny that every tire made can be both the best and the worst depending on who you talk to. Back to my cheerios.
I thought your post was hilarious

Old 07-11-2012, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by diggity
I thought your post was hilarious
Agreed! I didn't think Lotrat's post was at all pissy. He just pointed out some "reviews" aren't worth anything since poster hadn't actually used the tire and was only repeating who knows what.

The best tire is the one that's on your bike, has sufficient tread and holds air. RIDE ON!!

Old 07-11-2012, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member

It's hard to convey emotion in text. Plus I'm an engineer trying to be funny.

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
270's have been fine for my KLX as well as my KLR in the desert...
I have a more aggressive front tire on the KLX now for better braking and turning bite...
What tire do you have up front?
What size 270 are you running in the rear? I got the 4.6-18 on the rear and it really looks skinny compared to the stock D603 I pulled off it.

Quick Reply: Another tires thread