Another riding area shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Another riding area shutdown

This weekend Dave, Collie, Dave's son Danny and myself headed down the Lackawana trails to find a couple of miles in where there is a bridge crossing some guy locking up the gate that goes across.. The land is owned by the state of New Jersey. I don't know how legal the riding was, but there were no posted signs. I don't know what happened for the locking of the gate. It just sucks to have a riding area shut down. There are a lot of people who ride that trail, and I am sure some of those people will cut the lock on the gate(myself NOT included and no one that I know). Hopefully the trails will not be patroled, because I am not looking to get any tickets. I am only looking to have a good time. Loud pipes save lives but also get areas shut down.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Another riding area shutdown

Jeff I knew we were doomed when there was a "pack" of riders on the trail riding sport quads and motocross bikes. With all the houses near the trail someone was bound to complain. We have to quite the bikes up and make some new trails:-)

Old 10-22-2007, 06:58 AM
1st Gear Member

loud pipes do not save lives they just get areas shut down, if you have a loud pipe serves you right

Old 10-22-2007, 07:56 AM
1st Gear Member

i run a loud pipe... but have yet to see em closin the roads down.... fact of the matter is theirs people everywhere that hate to see any1 havin fun.. if it wasnt bitchin about the noise itd be the dust... or the trash.... or the trespassin... choose ur complaint. riding areas are clsoing left and right in alot of areas lately for various reasons... if i put a silencer in my pipe i highly doubt granpa sourass is gonna leave the trail open to his property due to it. its also possible that the trail was closed due to hunting coming into season... who knows. did some1 say that the trail was closed specifically due to noise? or just an assumption?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jsac

fact of the matter is theirs people everywhere that hate to see any1 havin fun.. if it wasnt bitchin about the noise itd be the dust... or the trash.... or the trespassin... choose ur complaint. riding areas are clsoing left and right in alot of areas lately for various reasons... if i put a silencer in my pipe i highly doubt granpa sourass is gonna leave the trail open to his property due to it.
+1

Old 10-22-2007, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd say in Jersey, It's more a fear of the dreaded lawsuit that's closing 'em down. Wah, I wiped out on your land now I'm gonna sue! It's taht B/S that ruins everything!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

its everything... the public does not wanna hearquads and bikes all over, and like he said no one wants to get sued... thats the biggie i think right there....

Old 10-22-2007, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/vide...317/index.html

"i run a loud pipe... but have yet to see em closin the roads down"

I wish it was not true, but in fact, the roads ARE being shut down to us because of loud pipes. Here again, when we refuse to police ourselves, we will be policed; like it or not. The video tells us what will happen if we simplyride our bikesthrough Denver, Coloradowithout an EPA stamp on our mufflers. We get a $500 reward for the infraction. We need to face the fact that as motorcyclists, we are a minority. In our society, the majority rules when people vote. Complaints count as votes when city ordinances are written. Therefore, we need to be respectful and responsible where our fun may affect others. I just removed the Thunderheader from my 2001 FXDX and replaced it with a punched stock exhaust system. I miss the power, but frankly, I was getting tired of the excessive, ear shattering sound of the two-into-one Thunderheader, and the Denver law woke me up.Regardless of what I like or dislike, I have decided to look for alternative ways to have my fun. Off road or on, if we can minimize the impact of our presence, we'll be more welcome.

Bill Dragoo
Ride Oklahoma Magazine
Norman, Oklahoma
01 FXDX
06 KLX 331
03 Triumph Bonneville
06 XT 225
05 F 650 GS
70 Norton Commando
Project bikes out the wazoo

Old 10-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow that sucks guys, I feel kind of guilty that there are more and more areas opening up right around me. Some of the state and timber owners are actually making pass around by gates just for motorcycles and quads around here. My theory is that lawsuits are actually helping in this situation. While I don't agree with all of them, the DNR is getting on board with this as a way to keep people from getting hurt trying to jump tank traps to get to areas. They will still maintain a zero tolerance for garbage dumping, which most of us don't do that anyway right? I got an e-mail from Jeff in Bangor PA and he had a great idea of getting a hold of the admins and making a list of regional areas so that not only could you find them in your state, but you could also use them to hook up with other riders that have been there the whole time. ThumperTalk did it a while back and I think its time we stepped up and did the same. I'll let you know how it goes. Great idea Jeff.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

there is always the few that spoil it for the bunch, i know if i come to a no tresspassing sign or posted sign i turn around, and so have everyone i rode with... im not one of the ******** that does anything they want, litter all over the place, and trash the land.... i respect it... the few are the ones that give the rest bad names...

Quick Reply: Another riding area shutdown