another newbee

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default another newbee

Hi Everyone, Picked up my leftover 2006 klx 250 last wednesday. I took it on a 1015mi trip(towing it) to my brothers place on the suwanee river in mayo Fl. It is very sandy there and I had alot of trouble in the real soft sand with the front end washing out. I also see why people recommend gearing changes. Riding on the roads the gearing was great but offroad it seemed way to high. I ordered a muzzy full exhaust system when I bought it, so I'll take it back to dealer and have it installed shortly. I would like to change the gearing also. From reading post hear I see most people are doing 13-45. Is that the best set up for predominately off road riding, and is the stock chain reusable? I plan on doing all reasonable hop ups short of the big bore kit. I bought the 4 yr extended warranty so that would void it I'm sure. Has any one lowered the bike yet. Maybe I could change the seat to lower it also. One last question, I live in ne pa, and plan on riding in the poconos, and also the pinelands in Jersey. Are there tires that work great in sand, but are still good in plain old dirt? Sorry for long post, I have a lot of questions, but I'll cut myself off for now. This is a great site. Jeremy

Old 03-01-2007, 05:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: another newbee

welcome to KF, I am sure all the KLXers will be here soon to help you out.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the KF Family!

Old 03-01-2007, 08:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome cool change, Lots of questions. Lets start with gearing. I am running 14-48 which is virtually the same as 13-45. Not sure if you can use the stock chain with the 13-45 set up but you will have the answer soon. The 13-48 would be great in tight terrain or sand. Forget it for anything but short 50 to 60 mph bursts.I am runningthe 48 rear andcan easily switch the front between 13, 14 and 15. These combos do require a 110 or 112 link chain (sorry late and can't remember). BTW the 48 tooth rear is the largest you can go and keep the top chain guard and clear the lower guide when in the forward wheel position. I do take my daughter for rides so for me the chain guardmatters.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the Forums!!! Enjoy your stay

Old 03-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

welcome aboard cool change.... Sounds like your heading in the right direction.

Hey if your up for it we are planning a big ride on memorial day weekend, in the pine barrons in souther jersey. I live over a little north of pittsburgh.
so far i think we got like 13 guys going. all klx's
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_105790/tm.htm

Old 03-01-2007, 02:50 PM

Howdy, cool change (makes me think of the "change bank" skit from SNL)

I will take a stab at some of your questions:

Gearing: I agree with most folks that 13/45 is the best compromise ratio. I have plenty of pull offroad and I can easily run 65-70 indicated on the highway for 20-30 minutes rides when needed.

Chain: I am pretty sure I am running a 108-link chain with my 13/45 setup.

Lowering: I am currently using the KLX3 links from KoubaLinks to lower my bike by 1.125". I am about to take the links off, though and raise the bike back up. If you decide to lower the bike, done forget that you will need to raise the forks up a little to compensate for the lowering int he back in order to maintain the geometry of the bike. Because of the tight clearance between the bars and the triple clamp, I found it helpful to use a set of 1" bar risers on the handlebars. I paid too much for mine, but there is a nice set of bar risers on rockymountainatv.com for like $19.95 or something. You can get the links on Ebay for about $20 as well. I seem to recall that my Koubas were quite a bit more than that, but I don't remember exactly.

Lowering the seat: This is an option that some have done. Personally, I want to keep as much padding on the seat as possible.

Tires: I am running the Ching Shen C858s right now. They are great in sand and regular dirt, but I am disappointed in their mud performance. They load up pretty quickly and get pretty slick. I hear nothing but good things about the Kenda Trackmaster IIs. I probably can't use this tire because I run on the road so much, but for mostly offroad, I think it is a great choice.

Good luck in all of your mods. You have found the right place to feed your new addiction.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:01 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cool change
I ordered a muzzy full exhaust system when I bought it, so I'll take it back to dealer and have it installed shortly.
You can install the muzzy yourself, thats easy. However your gonna need to re-jet as well.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:39 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Jeremy, waaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzup? Welcome man.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome

Quick Reply: another newbee