Another BB351 comes to life!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Another BB351 comes to life!

Well I finally found time to do the install of my 351 with the pumper carb over the weekend. All in all it went well with a couple of exceptions, mostly due to my own stupidity. Tearing down the engine went fairly well, in part thanks to some of the great posts found here by other members, most notably Dan888 and Armycopter who had documented their own 351 installs, thanks guys!

My biggest two issues was #1, I forgot to re-install the 2 6mm bolts in the head that are in the cam chain area and had already buttoned it all up before I noticed them sitting on the bench, so I went back and put them on. #2 was the gasket on the valve cover, I had so much problems in trying to re-use the old one as it seemed to be a touch too small and would not seat properly. Finally I got it on to my satisfaction but on start up today I see it has a small leak, so I have ordered a new one to solve that problem.....I hope!

After finishing up the top end work I installed the pumper carb which required moving the main wiring harness from the right side of the bike to the left side, as it interferes with the linkage on the pumper. Not a big deal to move but it is time consuming. Then I tackled the airbox. After reading so many posts about screen removal and drilling I thought I would just try to remove the entire airbox so I could work on it on the bench. Managed to get it out (well at least half of it), it seems they must build the entire bike around this damn airbox, but after splitting it into two pieces I got the front half out which is really the business end of it.

It was then very easy to remove the screen section and I was able to completely remove the screen in about 15 minutes with my dremal and a sabertooth bit. Then the drilling of the PVC vent was a snap. I would highly suggest that future wrenchers consider removing the airbox like I did to perform some of these mods, especially the de-screening mod.

Then I installed my new Megabomb and Q4, for the most part they both went on with little trouble, I just had to bend one bracket a little bit to get the header from leaning on the airbox.

Then this afternoon after letting it sit for 24 hours I turned on the fuel and hit the starter and she fired up within the first 10 seconds and purred like a kitten. Took it for a quick boot, runs very strong but bogs around 8K, so I will have to look at tweaking the carb I think.

First impression is.....this is how the bike should run from the get go, no more anemic power, this thing wants to run....and fast! Now I want to get out and ride it...giddy up!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

dude you went all out, im proud. you noice a diffrence after you cut the screen out at all? and noting on the valve gasket, its a known problem that almost all the 09s do that, a new gasket and a bit of gasket sealer on the moons will do the trick.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats Miaugi!! The extra power is nice isn't it?
Dan

Old 06-15-2010, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
dude you went all out, im proud. you noice a difference after you cut the screen out at all? and noting on the valve gasket, its a known problem that almost all the 09s do that, a new gasket and a bit of gasket sealer on the moons will do the trick.
Can't honestly comment on removing the screen since everything was done at once so there is no telling if it was better or not. Logic dictates that it should be better and Bill Blue also recommended I remove it so that was good enough for me. I hadn't read anything about the valve cover gasket but it looks so simple and yet was such a pain!

Originally Posted by dan888
Congrats Miaugi!! The extra power is nice isn't it?
Dan
Oh yeah baby!

Old 06-16-2010, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow 8K on your first ride with it?! You've got bigger cajones than me! I don't think I got it above 3.5K for the first few miles....

Old 06-16-2010, 11:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by armycopter
Wow 8K on your first ride with it?! You've got bigger cajones than me! I don't think I got it above 3.5K for the first few miles....
I hear you and I understand where you're coming from but for this rebuild I thought I'd follow another train of thought....read about it here.

I'll let you know how it works out!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

when i big bore, im going to try that set up too. i think this could explain the engines "loosening in" and feeling better after 1000 miles, or i could be smoking california number one cash crop.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

8k on the test ride, yahman!!! hahahaa

You don't **** around!! hahaa.. Ride on!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:54 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Miaugi
I hear you and I understand where you're coming from but for this rebuild I thought I'd follow another train of thought....read about it here.

I'll let you know how it works out!
I think you'll be satisfied with the Mototune break-in process. It seems to be the way to good engine life. Old habits die hard. Congrats on the 351.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice job man! That's the way I broke my bike in brand new...