Amount of Oil Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 05:25 AM
Default Amount of Oil Needed

FWIS, I tried searching the forum for this answer, but I cam up with nothin'. If this has been covered before, I apologize.

Anyway, I just did my 2nd oil change (700 miles). I added exactly 1.5 quarts, but I will be danged if it doesn't look like too much oil per the sight glass. The first time I changed the oil I let the sight glass be the guide and I added enough to get close to the MAX tick mark when the bike was standing upright. This time, though, I decided to trust the owner's manual so I added exactly 1.5 quarts.

Has anyone else run into this? What would be the downside of running like this if I do, in fact, have a little too much oil. I can't imagine that it would hurt anything since it can't be that much too much.

Any thoughts? BTW, I am planning to ride the bike to church at 7:15am tomorrow (9/17/06) so any responses overnight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks.

Chris

Old 09-17-2006, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Amount of Oil Needed

Did you remove the oil filter? Usually you only need the full capacity when you've taken the filter out, otherwise 1.4 quarts will probably do. I can't say really, how much is too much and what happens when it's too much... I know it can rob horsepower...

Old 09-17-2006, 06:07 AM

Yes, I did replace the oil filter as well.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:34 AM
1st Gear Member

When I change the oil I change the filter everytime and when following the manual it is considerably overfull. I end up having to siphon some out with a syringe. So I try to go by the sight glass or just give it a quart, start it, let it sit for 5 minutes and then check and add as needed.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:41 AM

Thanks gents.

Josh, I did as you suggested and syphoned off the excess oil. I did not count the number of syringe-fuls, but it was a bunch. I bet I had to take out at least 0.2L or more. That's really strange.

For anyone that comes behind and sees this, here is what I did.

1. Drained existing oil and removed oil filter.
2. Reinstalled drain plug.
3. Laid bike on left side to place oil filter spring.
4. Installed new filter.
5. Set bike vertical.
6. Added exactly 1.5 quarts of KawaChem (something like that) oil - don't remember weight, but as supplied by dealer
7. Ran bike on choke for ~ 2 minutes and at normal idle for ~ 3 minutes
8. Noted sight glass completely full.
9. Allowed bike to completely cool down.
10. Syphoned off oil to bring level down to MAX line on sight glass. -- Approx. 0.25L

I have left bike vertical for overnight. I will verify level before starting the bike in the morning.

If anyone sees anything that I have done incorrectly here, please point it out. Specifically, is the sight glass supposed to be read with the bike @ vertical or on the kick stand. I seem to recall that the bike should be vertical, but I am questioning that since I had to take out so much oil.

Thanks all.

Chris

Old 09-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I don't think you'll ever get all the oil out when you drain it, so it will never take quite as much as the capacity says because some always remains behind from the last fill. I've done the same thing though, put in what it said and then had to syringe some out.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I've done 2 oil changes on mine with the filter being changed both times. I've added the 1.5 quarts each time and been right up at the top line of the sight both times with the bike being vertical. One thing I noticed is if you pull the drain plug, once it's done draining on the kickstand, lean the bike over the other way and then straight up and quite a bit more will come out. If you haven't done this, try it next time and see if it makes any difference. i'm not sure if it was another .25L or not, I just remember having to hold the bike vertical for a little while longer to let it finish the draining.

Old 09-17-2006, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I leave the oil draining overnight. I tilt the bike to the right to get the extra oil out, change the filter and put in 1.5 qts and the oil is exactly full on the sight glass.

BTW, as a side note, a lot of oils come in one liter container, not one quart. A liter is more than a quart so if you use one and a half container, you will be overfilling it.