altitude

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 01:42 AM
Default altitude

Anyone here ridden a KLX250S at higher altitudes -- 8000 ft + ? We're thinking of getting one for my wife and doing some dual sport and mountain pass ridingin CO. We've also considered aDRZ400S (I have one), but it's a little tall and a little heavy for her. Just wondering if the KLX has enough power at the higher elevations.

Thanks for any info,
Mike OD

Old 09-22-2007, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: altitude

Mike,

In stock form, the KLX will not travel well above 8000ft.

I changed the exhaust, opened up the airbox, and rejetted. Mine would pull my 200lb butt nicely up to 11,000ft. I've done some other work since then, and haven't had it above the 5300ft where I live. A friend has one for his son (he rides a DRZ). He likes to ride southern Colorado (Ouray, Silverton, etc). In the 12,000 and above range it doesn't do too well. He's still playing with the jets to find the right combination.

Good luck.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:20 AM

Thanks, Tom. We would probably be consistently above 7000 to 8000 ft in Colorado. In fact, the Ouray/Silverton area (Alpine Loop) is one area we want to ride. Other areas would be around Salida and South Fork. My wife is 140 lbs +, so if your KLX(with mods) will pull you to 11,000 feet we might be OK if we make similar changes.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Mike,

Most of my adventure rides take me above 7000' The highest that I have riden to is just over 12,000' : http://www.suncup.net/KLX250S/TripRe...-30/index.html

My bike isn't stock so I can't comment on how a stock configuration would do. However, upon nearing 12,000' I could tell that the bike wanted more O2 but still performed OK. I weigh 190lbs.

With basic mods, the KLX250S should do just fine.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:25 AM

Thanks, Dan. It looks like you've made some pretty significant changes to your bike. I don't know that we would go quite that far, but basic exhaust, jetting, and airbox mods for sure.

The KLX seems ideal for my wife because of the seat height and weight. There are some other choices out there -- XT225, DR200, CRF230 -- but they seem to more play bikes. In fact, we had a couple of XT225s some years ago. Fun around town, but not very sophisticated. The new Yamaha fuel-injected dual sport might be a possibility, but it is a little pricey. There are some good year-end deals available on the KLX.

Mike

Old 09-22-2007, 05:49 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on klx with basic mods. I live in Utah, and ride from 5k to 10.5k consistently. I've opened airbox/exhaust, removed the smog crap, rejetted and changed the gearing. I'm pretty happy with it (160# rider), and I'd say I'm about 600$ invested. I can still do about 65mph easy on the highway, and was on single track at about 9k just last week. Yeah, higher elevation than that with steep climbing is a little rough, sometimes I stall out, but in general, its solid. I've also shaved the seat and lowered the suspension just a hair to be more compliant with my 5'-8" height, and I'm loving it. If I was going to be more road/dirt road and not so much trails, I would look at something else though.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:50 PM

UTRoss:

We plan to ride mainly forest roads/jeep trails/mountain passes, so I'm curious why you recommend looking at somethng other than the KLX for that type of riding. We're a couple of 50+ folks who don't care to wrestle heavy dual sport bikes on tough single track. We also ride trials and use our trials bikes for riding the gnarly stuff.

Did you use a lowering link like the Kouba link to lower the rear?

Where would you recommend riding in Utah? We've been there a few times but not with bikes. I would like to ride the Hell's Backbone road near Boulder. Did it in a car once -- beautiful wilderness area.

Thanks,
Mike OD

Old 09-22-2007, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I use my klx primarily as a commuter, between Salt Lake City and Park City, riding 95% pavement over the Wasatch mountain range, starting around 5k elevation, peaking close to 9kish, and then back down to maybe 6-7ish on the other side. I try to stick to 2 lane highways, but have also been on I-80 (major freeway). I also occasionally ride jeep trails and single track.

On and off road, I'd like more power at higher elevations (9k +). Definitely for freeway cruising. Its great where I live though (5k elevation).

My opinion is that the bike is a great dual sport, probably a 80/90% off road, 20/10% on road type of machine though (I'm sure others will have differing opinions). So, if you see yourselves riding almost all road/dirt road, I'd suggest a machine that was a little more road friendly, maybe a bit more comfortable, longer fuel range, etc (klr?) - particularly for longer distance travels. For jeep trails/forest roads/singletrack with some pavement, the klx is great.

I used kouba lowering links, there are others out there.