Alright, gents..

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Alright, gents..

My bike now has 900 miles on it (so I'm obviously a seasoned rider, right? ) and it's starting to develop a few things and I haven't had a chance to look at them due to my upcoming wedding (damn women are crazy with that kinda crap).
First, I've got a squeak sort of sound coming from what sounds like the rear of the bike. I checked for debris between pad and rotor and there was none. So, I don't know too much about bikes but my next guess would have to be a bearing... I can only hear it at low low speeds 10 mph or less. Any ideas which bearing this could be? I've only rode it offroad...O, maybe 50-70 miles, and it was all pasture type stuff.
My second issue is just a squeaky clutch lever. I'm pretty sure this is just because I love dumping it on the left side and burying that lever in the dirt. I'm planning on using some spray grease on it and calling it good. If I'm wrong, I'd love to be told what to do, haha.
Thanks for the patience with the noob.
Mike

Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Modify your behavior and stop dumping it in the dirt! If it were me I'd have the rear noise checked out by your dealer if possible. Good luck and have fun.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

if you dont have barkbusters that might be a good addition to your bike

Old 06-22-2012, 06:06 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

First...if you're going to ride in the dirt, get barkbusters of some effective kind. You constantly risk busted levers, broken lever perches, expensive control pod damage, and throttle tube damage. Get some barkbusters.

On the unusual squeak you're hearing that doesn't seem associated with your brakes, I've heard something similar over a very long time on my '06. I would even describe it somewhat like a very low tea kettle whistling sound of some sort that seems to be speed related, not rpm related. "Tea kettle whistling" sounds a little silly but that's the funny impression I get. It seems to be related to the rolling of the bike in terms of frequency. The noise is not always there and only seems to occur occasionally after being ridden for awhile. There seems to be no pattern of when or why the sound occurs. And let me clarify that this is not a loud, howling, obnoxious noise. It's decently subtle.

Now, I have a fair amount of experience in experiencing all manner of weird motorcycle sounds and the diagnosis thereof. My first logical thought was a brake rotor/brake pad rub, but you can lightly or heavily drag the front or rear brake separately with no change in the noise. Rotors and pads are in excellent condition.

Since the bike doesn't make the noise until I've been riding for a bit...at least a few miles...maybe it's temp related with a steam noise escaping from the overflow tank or a hose. I have a Vapor instrument panel with a very good digital temp guage, and the temps on this bike are ridiculously low and very stable. It never, never uses any coolant...period. There are no leaks. The overflow tank is almost brand new due to crack the original unit developed at the mounting holes, and the cap seal holds up under a compressed air blower. And it made this noise with the original cracked tank and the new one.

OK, maybe a wheel bearing or wheel bearing seal or axle/hub seal is failing or dry. Not too long ago I replaced what turned out to be perfectly greased and smooth 20,000 mile life bearings on both front and rear along with new seals. The sound still pops up occasionally.

I recently rechecked all rear suspension pivots and seals while doing some extensive rear shock spring and sag experiments. They are in perfect order.

Since this is a sound that occurs when rolling, and it seems unconnected to the engine...you can pull the clutch in with no effect to the sound...I have to think it's related to the wheels/brakes in some manner. It could be something around the countershaft area too, but I just replaced the 14T countershaft with a new one...strictly preventative...and there is no sign of any contact or problems in that area.

Frankly, I haven't been too worried, as there seems to be no imminent problem related to this of any consequence. This has been going on for over a year. It's not a hideous, loud, or obnoxious sound...at least to me...or I would have torn into more of the bike than I've already done just in the course of extensive maintenance over time. I think it's temp related in some way, as it has never done it when stone cold, but it doesn't seem to be connected to a critical operation of the bike. It's just a funky noise that infrequently pops up.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

My money is on the brakes. About 11,000 miles into my bike my rotor got really smooth, developed the annoying squeal (no the Ned Beaty kind) and so I did a brake disc sanding project. Its on the forums somewhere...I'll see if I can find it. That did the trick. It did have some surging issues but went away not long after the job.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...date***-27998/

Old 06-22-2012, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadetreeAZ
Modify your behavior and stop dumping it in the dirt!
Fail.

Originally Posted by IllKing
if you dont have barkbusters that might be a good addition to your bike
Win.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
My money is on the brakes. About 11,000 miles into my bike my rotor got really smooth, developed the annoying squeal (no the Ned Beaty kind) and so I did a brake disc sanding project. Its on the forums somewhere...I'll see if I can find it. That did the trick. It did have some surging issues but went away not long after the job.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...date***-27998/
Well deej, you've solve the problem for me. I've riding 2-up occasionally with Ned Beatty on the back, and now that you mention it, this only happens when he's riding with me. Thanks, Bro.

"He's sure got a pretty mouth"...Yeehaw!

LOL!...well on a serious note, deej, my particular noise was a definite rotor/pad suspect for sure, but I've been able to apply the brakes right when this happens, and there's not one iota of difference in the sound. It would have to affect it at least to some degree. But I'll let Ned know that you said hello.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Sometimes if the chain is in just the right state of slack, and in need of a lube, I find it will make a squeaking noise as it passes over the rubber guide on the swing arm. If the other suggestions fail to cure the problem, try a little chain maintenance...

Old 06-23-2012, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member

don't forget to lube you chain up those squeal when dry

Old 06-25-2012, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I appreciate all the help guys. TNC, sounds like we have the same issue. Your description almost perfectly describes it. Yotabuilder, I had kinda forgotten about the chain til now. Thanks for the reminder. Also, what do you have in the way of yotas? I've got a taco that I used to wheel in Cali when I was out there. Cant decide if I wanna go with dual cases next or a SAS.... Once again, thank you all for the advice. Anyone use anything special for lubing levers? Graphite? White lithium?

Quick Reply: Alright, gents..