For all you GPS'ers

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: For all you GPS'ers

The eTrex can be powered externally through a mini-USB connection (5v @ 1000 ma), so a straight hookup to the bike's power isn't possible.

I have a cigarette lighter adapter for my PDA which works on the eTrex as well, but I'm not sure that putting a full size cigarette lighter socket on a dual sport works very well. When I looked into it, I found that Powerlet seems to be the predominant type of connector for motorcycle accessories. http://www.powerletproducts.com/

Here's the powerlet kit and USB power cable that I was wondering about:

Old 12-05-2006, 07:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Edit... never-mind you know what you're doing.........I've never used their stuff.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:22 AM
1st Gear Member

get the first Garmin, i have READ some very good reveiws on those, and i really think that whole built in short wave radio thing is pretty cool.

just my .02

Old 12-05-2006, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

the treo is not water tight but they make a hard case for it that is waterproof i can also answer the phone while riding if i wanted i think its the best all in one device

Old 12-05-2006, 04:03 PM

H'mmm, GPS's . . . . yum!

I have a few GPS's sitting around the shop. I started out with the Garmin E-Trex basic unit. It showed me a lot of stuff, such as where I was. However, correlating that to a map was kind of hard to do. But when I'm in the woods riding, the E-Trex is usually right along with me. It does a whole lot more besides show you the way home. A great unit for about $90.

Then I migrated to the Garmin E-Trex Legend. It has mapping so I can see where I am now. Very nice feature. The Legend spends most of my time on the KLR650. I find it works very well in that application.

Now, a quick note for you if you buy a cigarette lighter style power system. THEY ARE NOT SHOCK PROOF! I have gone through several of them. Finally, when the warranty ran out, I took mine apart and took a look inside. The entire problem came down to an inductor that is held in place by a drop of RTV. The weight of the copper coil was more than the RTV could hold and broke the wire. I soldered the wire, and filled the area with RTV. That was almost two years ago. Not a problem since then.

The GPS I use on a daily basis - transfers back and forth between the V-Strom and the Concours is the Garmin Quest. While it does not have plug in SD cards - a really nice ability - it does have the ability to hold a hold bunch of data. I can put data in it to cover just about any trip I have made on any of my bikes.

Auto-routing is really, really nice. I like to play a game with it though. That's called, "I'm getting lost, find a way home!" What I'll do is when I'm out and about is to set a route for home. Then I'll see a road where I have no idea where it goes. I'll turn down that road and ride until I find out. Sometimes I find a new route that way, sometimes I make a two way trip on the new road. It's ideal for exploring as it is constantly routing you home.

The first weekend I bought it, I had to go up and rescue my parents. They had to evacuate from Hurricane Katrina and were in a small town in Alabama that I had never heard of, Roanoke. Well I looked up on my Microsoft Streets and Trips and found the motel they were staying at. I plugged the lat and long into the GPS and said, "Take me there by the fastest route!" It did. I drove right into the parking lot. I'm impressed with it's abilities.

The one you choose is really based on what you want it to do. You really need to sit down and make up a matrix of what it is you need, what it is you want - in features and capabilities - then make a decision based on what you can get for the amount of money that you have available.

Let us know what you decide.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:04 PM

I have the Garmin 60CSX with mounts for both of my bikes and also for the car. It's a great little unit and works flawlessly. I ordered mine thu ... No dont't laugh ..of all places Walmart online. They had the cheapest prices 389.00 plus a $50.00 mail in rebate good til 12/31/06. I am suprised by the accuracy of the unit. It's small enough for the Kawi and large enough for the car... I also purchased the NT City Map DVD which is a must and a 1 gig SD card really comes in handy you can fit all of the maps on it.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:59 PM

This is a great thread. I think the E-trex legend is what I will be going with. Has anyone had any troubles or complaints about this unit?

Old 12-05-2006, 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Ginsu4u

This is a great thread. I think the E-trex legend is what I will be going with. Has anyone had any troubles or complaints about this unit?

The cigarette lighter power supply from Garmin does not seem to make good contact with the GPS. You have to be very careful about how the cable is routed or the unit will shut off.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I decided on the 60Cx from Costco for $449 CDN (and then a $50 USD mail-in rebate)...
The 60CSx at WalMart (USA) is a smokin deal, but it's not available up here in Canada... Our WalMart is so much lamer - and the walmart.ca website too - just plain lousy.

Anyway, I know GPScity.ca has it for $5 cheaper, but the fact that Costco has a no-questions-asked return policy makes it worth buying there.
Now I wait for the brown truck. Thanks for the info guys.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:53 PM
ktn

ORIGINAL: Ginsu4u

Hey G4U-

I have the Legend C and the 60CSX...You won't be happy with the Legend because it can't be hard-wired easily and it's better suited to hikers. It's the first one I got and I wish somebody had told me to just get one of the 60 series units. Go check out advrider.com GPS section and you'll see not too many folks are using the Legend. The 60 series has a much better antenna/reciever which is important in cover and canyons.

BTW- we are on the same page about one thing...cold weather means putting the bike up and tuning up the boards.
Good luck,

Quick Reply: For all you GPS'ers