All kinda weird crap with my bike.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I think that your speaking of 2-smoke mx bikes, because from what I have heard the 4-smokes are as bad to re-jet as our bikes.

You need an 8mm swivel socket to get the one bolt out of the bottom for the backfire screen

If you think that the cvk carb is bad, try wrestling the FCR in a couple dozen times trying to get the jetting set.

If you take the diaphram out again and it swells up, through it in the freezer for a couple minutes.

What kind of exhaust are you running, Your jetting will probably be pretty rich with the stock pipe and maybe even a slip on.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Swivel socket, thanks for the tip! I'll try and pick one up.

And yeah, I'm talkin 2 stroke bikes. I've riden many 4 strokes, but never owned or worked on one. And usually they were the flat slide carbs with the power jets. On the top end it just squirts the juice directly into the motor.

Thanks for the tip on the diaphram. I didn't know if that would work or not. On the HMF website it says that putting it in hot water would prevent that, but geez...heat expands things.

I figured if the jetting was at 120 and was VERY lean. Almost white plug and no top end...then a 130 with the airbox lid removed, UNI filter, backfire screen removed, and crank vent drilled oughta be about right. But I could be wrong, theres just one way to find out. And yeah, I do have the stock exhaust.

thanks again.
________
THE CIGAR BOSS

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Did I get this right? Your carb' slide is PLASTIC?
Mine is definitely metal.

We know there are a lot of differences between the same models in different countries but I've never seen a plastic slide before?
Another tip, while you have the carb' out, replace the philips head screws with some hex head bolts. You will then be able to remove the carb' bowl just by tilting the carb and not removing it. Very handy while your still trying to get the jetting set.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

OK, so its good to know I'm not nuts...I did see a metal slide for this bike. Yes, mine is plastic. And its a first for me too. Your's is aluminum I see. All slides I've ever seen were brass.
________
GM FOODS

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh, and I got the backfire screen out. I just said F-it and drilled a dang hole right in the back of the airbox and used a regular socket. I plan on sealing it up with silicon. The hole will be covered by that bottom piece of the fender anyway. Then I'll put another glob on the inside. I did that because after looking at it I couldn't see even a swivel socket working easily. I mean, I'm sure it would work but I'd probably be screwing with it for next to forever.

I had trouble with drilling out the damn crankcase vent because I can't get the airbox out! I just cant see how its physically possible to do without taking the shock off. So I angled it best I could with the drill and drilled it, but I cant see in there to see if its clear of debris and what not. And the hole is too small for my little finger to fit. Oh well, I'll get it straightened out. I'm just worried about a few things.

1. that needle being set up so much higher than the stock one. I know I can always put the stocker back in so thats alright I guess, but I'll have to rip it all apart again.

2. the main jet being sliiiiightly longer. I hope that doesn't effect anything.

3.The diaphram. Hopefully it is seated in there properly and will work right.

4.The hole I drilled in the slide. The 7/64''s hole. Hopefully that all worked out well.

5. The air fuel screw and the pilot. I wonder if I'm going to have to go and buy a bigger one of those and mess with getting it all adjusted. I just don't know if I can take ripping this thing apart like you have to. Compared to my CR's and RM's I've owned over the years this thing is a super pain.

Little tid bit alot of you guys probably don't know about, on MX bikes, the entire subframe comes off with 3 bolts. Yes you heard me correctly...whole thing....right off. I'm almost tempted to take this heap up to my shop and bust out the welder and sawzall and do the same thing.
________
Vapir Digital Air One

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

haha.... the airbox still gettin ya.... like i said before, ya just have to get it in just the right position and it like falls out... crazy... gettin it out took me an hour, and same puttin it back in..... it is a pain believe me... ill never ever do it again... but it is possible.

Metal slide.... huh.... if i recall correctly the slide and diaphram was one piece like it wasnt two parts "glued" together , i think... it all was the same color and stuff.... but i know it wasnt metal.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Thats crazy. Like I said. I just said F - it and drilled a hole in the damn thing. I got some "plastic weld" to reseal the hole. I'm not too concerned, you can't see it anyway because its covered by the fender.

I still didn't get it back together. I've just been so busy. I'm hoping to tomorrow. I tore this thing apart Tuesday and its already Friday night. Wanna get some more riding in! Hopefully it all works OK.
________
Airsoft Pistols Tactical Spring Handgun

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Well,... FINALLY got it all back together late tonight. What a pain this bike is! I can't say it enough. There are so many things on this heap that aren't needed then there are redundant things for those systems. Pure nonsense. Things that should take mere seconds take a half hour. Anyway, like I said, all back together now. My garage is in my house below our bedroom so I try not to make too much noise while the wife is sleeping but after 5 days or so of screwing around after I finally got it back together ya just gotta test it and see if it works. I turned the gas on, waited a second, and hit the button a few times to suck the petro through. Then pulled the choke out and it immediately fired right up, pushed the choke in and let it idle for about 5 seconds and said "OK, thats enough". I woke my dog up, whom of which was laying under the car sleeping, and went back in the house.

Now tomorrow (Sunday) (technically today at 3 AM) Ill take it for a spin. If its running aright I'll take it to work, if not, I'll have to mess with it when I come home.
________
NEW JERSEY MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Old 09-21-2008, 07:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh, I used that "plastic weld" stuff to seal the hole I drilled out under the removed lower rear fender over the airbox....so that I could remove the bottom nut on the airfilter cage thingy. That stuff is GREAT! If you ever need to seal a hole in plstic thats the stuff to do it. It's two chemicals you mix and it hardens in a very short amount of time. And I believe it also chemicall melts the plastic its applied to and rehardends it in its final stages of drying and setting up to truly "weld" it together. It says 15 minutes but I went in and watched Walking Tall and Die Hard on TBS and came back out and got the sanding wheel on the dremel tool and sanded it down smooth and it was just as hard as the plastic and if it were black in color you wouldn't be able to tell there was a hole there. (its white) Just grab a sharpy and color it and its good to go. I didn't do that though, because like I said, its covered up anyway.

Good stuff.
________
The creativity movement (formerly known as the world church of the creator) advi

Old 10-06-2008, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Wtf???

Quick Reply: All kinda weird crap with my bike.