All because of a $1.00 O-Ring

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default All because of a $1.00 O-Ring

Ok so I go home today at 10:30 thinking that I was going o change oil in the bike, and put in a new spark plug, and take off the chain and clean and adjust it. Well I guess the bike gods wanted to play a little trick on good old deej.

Ok so I stopped by the auto parts store to pick up someAmsoil 10w-40 Synthetic oil, and head home to do some springtime maintenance. I drained the oil, pulled the filter, and installed the new filter and filled up the bike, and when I went to start it oil came pouring out where the filter cover is. Well it turns out that after 10 oil changes using the same o-ring, it decided that today was a good time to get pinched.

Name:  P5094856.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  28.3 KB

So I went out in the yard to lay the bike over, because I was not going to waste $12.00 worth of oil.
Name:  P5094851.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  123.6 KB

Now keep in mind this is the only time by bike has been like this, well except that wicked hill climb above Lake Crescent on the power lines.

Name:  P5094854.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  109.1 KB

Name:  P5094855.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  112.3 KB

Name:  P5094853.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  100.8 KB

Don't look at how dirty my bike is, and trust me it doesn't look like that now.

Anyway, remember when we all went to do our first oil change? Mine was back in December of 05, and we all agreed that Kawasaki really dropped the ball on the oil filter spring. Well I think that Kawi really screwed up by not putting in a new o-ring with the new filter. Would I pay a dollar more for the o-ring? In a heartbeat.

Anyway, after driving all over town, auto parts store, small engine repair shop and finally the machine shop I got an o-ring although not the right softness. I learned today that o-rings at least the ones we have here in town come in two different types. A 70 and a 90 whatever that means. Ours on the bike is a 70 which means it squishes real easy. I went with a 90 because nobody had the correct one in a 70. Anyway, it was about 5% bigger in diameter and when I tried to push the cover down, it just wouldn't go. I called the bike shop an hour away and asked them if they had the right one, and of course they didn't.

Too bad because my wife was in there doing some major grocery shopping. Anyway the guy at the machine shop told me to tap with a rubber mallet and it should go, and once it did this o-ring would last 10 times longer that the stock one. I did not however have a rubber mallet, so I used the rubber handle on my trusty Stanley Electrician's hammer, and it finally squeezed in there. I fought it for what seemed like an hour, and all I had to do was tap it with a hammer. Well after I got that done, I called the bike shop back up and ordered 3 new o-rings, and a couple of oil filters and oh yes a new clutch cable. I was surprised that the cable was only $14.95. Now I will have a spare.

Oh and look I had 8 minutes to spare before I had to be at the school to pick up the kid.
Name:  P5094860.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  89.4 KB

After all was said and done, I did a complete detail on the bike including tire foam cleaner. Well I'm glad that fiasco is over. So the million dollar question or should I say the $1.00 question is: Why can't Kawi throw in a new o-ring with the filters? HMMMMM?[:@][:@][:@]

All better now.

Name:  P5094859.jpg
Size:  117.8 KB

Name:  P5094858.jpg
Size:  127.8 KB

Sheesh, I'm the only one I know that can turn a 10 minute oil change into a ride report.[8D][8D][8D]

Old 05-10-2008, 05:18 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default RE: All because of a $1.00 O-Ring

you rock dude. didn't your mom or dad teach you to use the kickstand and not to throw your bike down? take care of it!!!!!!!!!, they said.
thanks for the heads up. I'll be doing my first change asap.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey man why is your avatar a green machine, and is that you doing a wheelie? Come on man get that pic updated.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member

All my oil filters (WIX) come with new O'Rings.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:40 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

All my oil filters (WIX) come with new O'Rings.
Well where do you get them, and whats the part number and cost? Come on man don't leave me hanging.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:57 AM
1st Gear Member

lol! Sorry. WIX filters are a huge brand! (Very well made too.) I'm surprised you've never seen them in your area. I buy mine at O'Reilly auto parts. Keep in mind, it's a possibility that WIX might not supply a O'Ring for your engine if Kawasaki's filter doesn't.

Here is a link to your WIX filter number: http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlook...asp?Part=57932 There is unfortunately no mention of an O'Ring, but then again, a cartrige filter doesn't usually have an O'Ring.[>:]

Old 05-10-2008, 05:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, that link may be broken. The WIX number for your KLX is 57932 if you wish to visit their website.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Are you going to blame the dog for the dead patch where your carby emptied itself? I notice the radiator overflow runs out a bit also on my bike when it is on that side, could just be my routing though.
Yeah thanks for the heads up, will check mine next time, we get the kawi filters and no O ring so I will add one to the spares kit.
Go out and get it dirty again man!
Lee

Old 05-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Hey man why is your avatar a green machine, and is that you doing a wheelie? Come on man get that pic updated.
'course it's me back in '06. That was a fun day riding at my parents' house where I use to ride my Z50.My daughter was riding with me on her JR50, it was a fun day and got some rare action pics. My daughter and I were riding Wednesday and she got some pics of me on my '09. I'll post a couple up here.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:16 AM
1st Gear Member

deej wats up with those grips? are those still the stock ones? wow. anyway, u gotta love those kenda 270s they just will not wear out and with my budget they are half the price of the dunlop 606s and last longer. take care up there, i was stationed at whidbey island in my navy days back in 90-92. the funny thing is i was always dying for a klr250 back then to ride around in the forests there but now i would want my klx haha.

Quick Reply: All because of a $1.00 O-Ring