Airbox Mod Question - KCA Air Suction System

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Airbox Mod Question - KCA Air Suction System

When your doing the Airbox mod, do you also disconnect and plug up the KCA Air Suction System? If so do you plug up both the airbox port and the Air Suction Valve? or do you put a breather filter on the Air Suction Valve and just plug up the air box port?

Any insight would be great, thanks,

Dave

Old 11-13-2006, 06:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Airbox Mod Question - KCA Air Suction System

ORIGINAL: DirtSurfer

When your doing the Airbox mod, do you also disconnect and plug up the KCA Air Suction System? If so do you plug up both the airbox port and the Air Suction Valve? or do you put a breather filter on the Air Suction Valve and just plug up the air box port?

Any insight would be great, thanks,

Dave
I pulled that sucker off right away. To do so, I suggest you plug the vacuum port on the carb that drives the valve, the hole in the airbox that provides air to the valve, and the reed valve inlet on the front left side of the head that allows the air to enter the exhaust stream. You could put a breather on the valve but why? Getting that system off the bike completely does nothing but good. It greatly reduces exhaust head pipe temps (and I believe exhaust valve temps) and removes an opportunity for a vacuum leak down the road.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Has anyone come-up with a better solution than Help brand plugs and caps?

Old 11-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

thats what im wondering... those things crack... thats y that system is still on my bike... im thinking of just cutting the hoses off short and getting a bolt to fit in the end of the hose and use a hose clamp to hold it in there and use the bolt as a plug... that wont crack or dry rot or whatever.... any thaughts on this?

Old 11-13-2006, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I used the plugs on the carb and air box but made an aluminum plate for the front of the motor. So far so good.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like it might hold-up better. I was actually thinking of the same thing.

I also remember an old mechanic's trick of pushing an appropriate sized steel ball bearing into vacuum hose. The trick was to find a ball bearing that fit tightly into the hose and would also be too large to get sucked into the nipple. This would, of course, require the hoses to be left in place, which is not desirable for most of us here. I was just looking for an interim solution until something better than the Help plugs can be found.

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

ORIGINAL: tremor38

thats what im wondering... those things crack... thats y that system is still on my bike... im thinking of just cutting the hoses off short and getting a bolt to fit in the end of the hose and use a hose clamp to hold it in there and use the bolt as a plug... that wont crack or dry rot or whatever.... any thaughts on this?

Old 11-14-2006, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I cut the reed valve inlet hose off to 2" and capped that with a hose plug. 2" seems to be enough to keep the heat of the head from melting the plug.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Good idea. I'll probably go that route.

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

I cut the reed valve inlet hose off to 2" and capped that with a hose plug. 2" seems to be enough to keep the heat of the head from melting the plug.