Airbox Mod Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Kid, if you do Dyno Jet pay attention to KLXter. Odds are good you will not only be in the ball park you will very likely be on home plate. If you do Keihin Kawasaki parts look up Pippin's web site. I followed his stuff and it was a one and done.

ff you have a friend who has some mechanical skills, have them there to help. Two heads usually better than one. Takes some fear and uncertainty out of the work.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

To answer your question about modifying the airbox without changing anything else, short answer is No.

Example of what I learned just this week. I'm selling my 09 250's, engine and exhaust are all stock. I did have a TM-36-68 flat slide carb and the KDX airbox snorkel on it, ran great for 3 years since I put the carb and snorkel on it. I decided to put the stock carb back on the bike when I sell it. I took it for a ride after installing the stock carb and the bike ran poorly. I scratched my head why it would be running like that until I realized I still had the KDX snorkel on it. I put the stock snorkel back on and the bike is running great again. So, as others have said, unless you plan on rejetting, leave it alone.

I have a KDX snorkel for sale if anyone is interested.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Hugger
To answer your question about modifying the airbox without changing anything else, short answer is No.

Example of what I learned just this week. I'm selling my 09 250's, engine and exhaust are all stock. I did have a TM-36-68 flat slide carb and the KDX airbox snorkel on it, ran great for 3 years since I put the carb and snorkel on it. I decided to put the stock carb back on the bike when I sell it. I took it for a ride after installing the stock carb and the bike ran poorly. I scratched my head why it would be running like that until I realized I still had the KDX snorkel on it. I put the stock snorkel back on and the bike is running great again. So, as others have said, unless you plan on rejetting, leave it alone.

I have a KDX snorkel for sale if anyone is interested.
PM sent

Old 05-18-2018, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

You didn't state what you're seeking for the bike, or if you're having cold start problems. Although common to many, they aren't to others, myself included. Mine starts, idles and runs great, all stock carb. I do however live in SoCal so weather may play a part in my good fortune. As for mods, might I suggest a cheap and easy place to start, noting your hesitation of carb-play? Try regearing. Some will argue it's not enough, but again, depending on your goals, it may be. This site will help. Sprocket Calculator - The easy motorcycle sprocket and chain calculator