Airbox math

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn

Until someone produces a pair of dyno charts with same motor, same day, same dyno, showing more torque from anything else than than stock airbox + stock KLX snorkel, I'm not going to remove mine.
The theory and every relevant experiment so far shows that to the give best engine performance at mid and high RPM's on these KLX bikes.

--
Mikko
So when will you be removing it?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Can anyone answer a few Q's for me.

Would a larger "box" yeild a larger pulse at a lower frequency and would this tune your Peak power at a lower rpm?

Does this work in the opposite scenerio?

Does the material the box is made out of have any effect (Alum. vs. Plastic)

Any relation to tuning a sub box. Port length/dia. and size of box effect the frequency.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

So far I've only seen charts that show precisely what I'd expect to see. Neeeext.

--
Mikko

Old 09-28-2010, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenMonsta
Would a larger "box" yeild a larger pulse at a lower frequency and would this tune your Peak power at a lower rpm?
Not necessarily "larger pulses" but at lower frequency yes. And yes, that would tend to move torque peak to lower RPM.

Does this work in the opposite scenerio?
As in smaller box -> higher frequency? Yes it does if other variables are kept constant.

Does the material the box is made out of have any effect (Alum. vs. Plastic)
Not directly. But indirectly maybe. You want the box to be air tight and rigid to make the resonant waves as powerful as possible. A soft and leaky box wouldn't produce any resonance at all.

Any relation to tuning a sub box. Port length/dia. and size of box effect the frequency.
Exactly same phenomena is used in both applications. Same equations and same challenges.

--
Mikko

Old 09-28-2010, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Mikko, I wonder why the term "ECU" is used in that first graph and not in the second? Is it the ECU that is somehow unrestricted?...but that wouldn't make sense...unless it's some kind of programmable ECU. Some of his description maybe needs some clarification. Yeah, that word "deslimitada" appears to be Spanish, and it seemed to mean unrestricted, full power, and other similar concepts.

I get your take on the synchronicity of the intake and the exhaust and the working balance between them to help or hurt the fuel air mix and the combustion process. Complicated as crap. Good stuff.
I believe someone mentioned that the FI KLX's have the first 3 gears or so running a restricted timing or fuel map.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Wow! makes my head hurt too. I'm going with TNC's muffler bearing comment
Dan
Phew! That beats all theories I've seen before...

Remains to reconcile that with the curves shown by Jeffward.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok let me throw something into the mix since we are talking about air boxes.

I have yet to take the smog plumbing off my bike. Wouldn't the tube from the crank case to the air box (92191A) totally throw the air box math out the window since it kind of moves air in and out or is the effect negligible?

Name:  KA-0106-00548.gif
Views: 183
Size:  65.5 KB

Old 09-29-2010, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

So far I've only seen charts that show precisely what I'd expect to see. Neeeext.

--
Mikko
And what is that ? I see more peak power with either the KDX200 snorkel or the lid removed and less with the stock snorkel.

Sure the stock snorkel seems to keep peak power longer towards redline, but since i shift at around 8-8.5K this is a moot point for me.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

In the first place, why assume the stock box is the "ideal" resonation frequency?

Taking the snorkle out may yield closer to ideal....

Also, optimizing the resonance of an inferior design (perhaps the definition of the stock setup), only improves the results of that inferior model.

Perhaps "less restriction of air flow" is akin to "more displacement". While removing restrictions to the airbox design may disturb resonance, the overall effect is an improvement in power, such as boring out a cylinder gives more power...even if the overall setup is lacking in other areas (ports, valves, cam lift/timing, carb throat diameter, etc.).

I'm just saying I don't necessarily buy into the initial premise: that the stock airbox might actually be anything near perfect. It fits the space available, is cheap to make, and houses a filter....maybe that's about advance as the technology was that was used in it's design.

Last edited by Blackheart58; 09-29-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:19 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

--
Mikko

FlyingFinn, Jeff's graphs appear to show a much improved torque curve for both the cases where the airbox lid is fully removed (middle graph), and when the stock snorkel is replaced with the KDX220 snorkel (bottom graph).

For example, comparing the airbox lid removed to the lid on w/stock snorkel, the torque progression is smooth all the way from 4000 RPM to where it peaks at about 6500 RPM. From there is trails a little steeply but then less so beginning at 8000 RPM and finishes out at 1.0 (Kgm) at 9500 RPM. Where in the stock airbox/snorkel, the torque curve looks crookeder than a dogs hind leg at first, peaks a little farther up the RPM scale at about 6750 RPM, then trails off pretty crooked again and finishes out at about 0.8 Kgm at 9500 RPM.

The KDX220 snorkel shows a much more linear torque curve from 4000 to where it peaks at 7000 RPM, then trails off pretty uniformly. At 9500 RPM, it's torquing at around 1.3 Kgm. So the stock airbox/snorkel is far less smooth than either the no airbox lid, or the lid + KDX220 snorkel. And it peaks lower than both, and produces the least torque at higher RPMs.

Also, the "flat spot" at RPM=5000 in the torque curve for the stock snorkel seems to be gone for that RPM using the KDX220 snorkel (1.65 Kgm vs 1.7 or so). But it's really gone in the no airbox setup, it's producing 2.0 Kgm at that point in the no airbox lid setup.

Is that what you expected to see?

Quick Reply: Airbox math