AFX FX-37DS - first impressions and pics!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default AFX FX-37DS - first impressions and pics!

I came home tonight and found the dreaded "Signature Required" note from UPS on my door and had to go out to the distribution center to pick it up. Not sure why, they've always just left more expensive stuff on my porch, but anyway...

Here's the box
Name:  AFX1.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  62.9 KB

Here's the inner box
Name:  AFX2.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  76.5 KB

Open box (are you on the edge of your seat yet? I am!)
Name:  AFX3.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  102.8 KB

Front view (I love the idiot warning to Remove Before Use...)
Name:  AFX4.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  98.7 KB

Side view
Name:  AFX5.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  63.2 KB

Rear view
Name:  AFX6.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  45.3 KB

Overhead view
Name:  AFX7.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  65.6 KB

Front view, shield fully open
Name:  AFX8.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  82.0 KB

Side view, shield fully open
Name:  AFX9.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  72.7 KB

Next to my Vega Mojave, you can see the visor on the AFX is quite a bit shorter, and it appears to be wider overall
Name:  AFX10.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  112.9 KB

Back to back with the Vega
Name:  AFX11.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  70.0 KB

Insides
Name:  AFX12.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  125.2 KB

All my helmets lined up (the one on the right is my snowboarding helmet)
Name:  AFX13.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  84.4 KB

Overall, the construction and finish seem very good to excellent. I couldn't find any noticeable defects in the paint; and the AFX sticker on the bill and the DOT sticker on the back are both under a thick layer of clearcoat.

I ordered a Large because that's what my Vega is and it seems to fit well. The cheek pads are pretty beefy and a little tight, but I think they will pack out over time. I once heard that if you can chew gum with your helmet on it's too loose, so maybe that's intentional.

In general I'm pretty stoked on it. I really like the styling and the integration of the shield. I need to wear it more to get a better feel for the fit and visibility (some people are reporting distortion in the shield).

The only bad thing is, I won't get to ride with it for another couple months!

Old 02-21-2009, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the pics. I like the tip on not being able to chew gum with a helmet on. It sounds right, I have always heard that your helmet should be tight, if you grab your helmet and wiggle it your head should move with it, with no slop at all. Dan

Old 02-21-2009, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the fit. Great point because a well fitted cheap helmet can save your skull better than $400 helmet that fits poorly. I love that AFX and how you can have the MX look without the road debris hitting your face. GREAT Helmet!

Old 02-21-2009, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Brian,
Thanks for the info and pics.
How is the fit of the shield when closed, and does it have rachets so it stays in the position you put it in? Also is any of the venting or visor adjustable?
Thanks in advance.
Don

Old 02-21-2009, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

That "signature reqiured" for your package came at the shippers request. Don't blame that on your driver. He was only doing what the barcode told him to do.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DJFields
How is the fit of the shield when closed, and does it have rachets so it stays in the position you put it in? Also is any of the venting or visor adjustable?
Don - The shield closes nice and tight, no gaps and even all the way around. It doesn't have ratchets it just works on friction from the side screws. I'm thinking I'll probably have to tighten them up from time to time. I wanted to see how it fit with goggles instead of the shield and I was able to take it all apart and put it back together with just my fingers and a dime, so that's good to know. The visor has a tiny amount of forward/backward adjustment but probably not enough to make a noticeable difference and none of the vents are adjustable, but for only $100 I wasn't expecting much for doo-dads.

@lcpl - I meant motorcyclesuperstore has never req'd a sig before. I would never talk bad about my UPS driver, he brings me my toys!

Old 02-22-2009, 05:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Good deal! Looks great.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice helmet Brian, I have the black one. I hear what you're saying about "not riding for another couple of months!" I'm from Maine. We just got back from two days at Mt. Snow in VT and you guys have even more of the white stuff than we do!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Smile

Thanks for all the great info and pics Brian.
Well I think I'm going to get one!
I'll have to see if anyone here would be interested in my KBC X7 Stealth first. It's a beatiful helmet but just does work well with my glasses situation. I've only used it maybe a dozen time and never really got it sweaty or full of mud! Guess thats what happens when you get old!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

DJ what size is your KBC? What is the deal with the glasses?

Quick Reply: AFX FX-37DS - first impressions and pics!